Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What the heck is going on here?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
One way to polish the die is to wrap some 0000 steel wool on a brush (might need a shotgun brush for a WSM case?). Spin it with a cordless drill. I usually add some Flitz to the steel wool for the final polish.

This is very quick to take any high spots off, or any burrs, but still takes quite a while to get to "mirror" polish. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny, isn't a felcher a guy who makes arrows? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Sounds like your FL die may be a little too tight.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your problem was probably the factory coatings in the die--akin to cozmoline. One of my hunting partners had the exact same issues, I cleaned his dies out, including getting a little goop out of the vent hole with a pin, and presto, no more issues! Minimal lubing with Imperial and smooth sailing. I have 3 different dies and have no issues sizing the 270 or 300 WSM brass. I trim with an LE Wilson/Sinclair trimmer and Wilson sells two different case holders, one for new and one for fired brass, It grows a bit when fire formed. If your chamber is on the high side of tolerance and your die is on the low, that would have magnified the problem. Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Kracky, I'll bet you hit the nail on the head. With the gunk in the die, it probably stopped any air from excaping. the once fired cases were probably a little larger that the unfired ones and with the lube, created a seal. I think a build up of air pressure going in and perhaps a vaccum trying to get out made the case seem stuck.

The direction for the die do recommend cleaning out that vent hole.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote