New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 95 Mauser and Pressure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interested in knowing what you guys think about loading for a 7X57 built on a Model 95 Mauser small ring action. The action was manufactured by Loewe and is in execellent condition. I have looked in all my manuals and all they say is "Max loads may not be safe in older military rifles". Can someone tell me exactly what that means? Is the working pressure 45,000 CUP, 46,000 CUP, 50,000 PSI or 51,000 PSI? I'm ready to do some loading for this rifle but I want to make sure I don't "over load" for it. Help!!!

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SAAMI maximun average pressure for the 7x57 Mauser is 46,000 C.U.P. Accurate Powder's Loading Guide shows the pressure ratings for their suggested loads.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
Arkie,

I was in your position several years ago. I had a model 95 semi custom in 7x57 offered to me for near nothing. My smith checked it out and said it would take pressures equal to a 7-08.

I have owned the rifle for 5 years and it is my 3rd model 95, it has a long throat and can load the COL to 3.300 and am getting 2900+ with 140's and a decent charge of H414 or RL19. My rifle really likes the Hornady 139's.I have no pressures signs even in our AZ summer.

The little seven is quite versitale with bullets from 120-160 gr.

I would get an inspection time and have your smith check it out. This is a great cartridge bottom line.

BD

one of us
posted Hide Post
My recollection is pretty dim about this, but I think problem with the older Mausers is not as much weakness as the way gas escapes in the event of a blown primer or case. Instead of being routed out the mag well, it goes back into the shooter's face. If that's so, signs of pressure may not even show up until you get a face full of junk and gasses.

Anybody know for sure?

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've blown primers on M96's before, you will feel gas. Not bad if you have on glasses, had bit's of lube, and stuff on my lenses. In a M98, you feel nothing.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The SAAMI max for 7mm Mauser is 51,000 psi, according to the Ramshot website.

Rimless bottle neck cases with .470" bases give up the primer pocket [and the primer falls out] for me between 55,000 and 65,000 psi.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I appreciate the information. This really helps me. Now I can choose a load and start testing.

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote