THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Whats a good powder that pretty much matches H414?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats a good powder that pretty much matches H414?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey,
Right now im shooting a 300wsm with Berger 190s down a 28" 1-11 broughton barrel, but I have found out that the H414 varies too much in fps and extreme spread with temp, could anyone give me a few extruded powders I should try to stabalize fps all year round, or if anyone is shooting 190's with the 300wsm tell me what your gun likes! thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: OakRidge, TN | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have only messed with one 300 WSM, but the one I tested did best with IMR 4831.

I think you are smart to get away from H 414. I found that powder to leave way too much residue in my barrels and to vary a lot with temperature extremes. I also found that it varies way too much from lot to lot.

The 300 WSM I tested was a stock Winchester Model 70 with a 24 inch barrel. I got the best results using IMR 4831 sparked by a Fed 215M primer and used the Nosler 180 grain Partition.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4350 is very similar in burning rate to H414 and is less temperature sensitive .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
want similar? how about W760?

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL-19

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300WSM does very well with Ramshot Hunter. Excellent accuracy and velocity. Hunter was designed for the short mags and is temp. tolerant. Hunter it is a ball type powder.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
760 is real similar to 414 since they are both ball powders and made in the same plant, only with different labels.
Xbuster did ask for stick types and Hodgdon says H4350 and H414 are very similar in burn rates and substitute well. Check out a few powder comparison charts for stick types with similar burn rates. Best-o-Luck

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote