New
Find
Notify
Tools

The fascinating 10MM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As an avid 40 S&W reloader and shooter, I have always been fascinated by the evolution of the 40 from the 10MM auto. Spurred by the low cost of the EAA witness in 10MM, I got a new one for $330 with the 4.5 inch bbl and went to work in my lab.

Pretty much everything good and bad written about the 10 has ultimately proven to be true...full power loads are a handful in a 34 ounce pistol and it is to much for defense work and just OK for hunting.

So I fooled with a few of the "FBI" loads at 80% of max energy levels, expecting it to be much like the 40 S&W. However, it is not at all like the 40 due to the hudge increase in case capacity with heavy bullets. After no less than 10 different powders with Hornady 200 gr XTPs, I found that Longshot delivered reduced load performance that was nothing short of stunning. By cutting back from 8.2 to 7.5 grs of this powder perceived recoil was cut in HALF, but velocities avaraged 1047 fps with fine accuracy and consistency, even in the lowly EAA.

No kidding, this load is in the light to moderate recoil range and double taps are easier than the 40 with factory 155 gr ammo. With zero at 50 yards you are only 7.3 inches low at 100 yards and still delivering 415 FPE with good accuracy at that range. For comparison, one would need to drive a 155 gr 40 to 1500 fps to have this energy level at 100 yards. This can be done in a carbine with a 16 inch bbl, but NO 4.5 inch handgun that I know of...not with 7.5 grs of powder and light recoil.

The icing on the cake is that the inexpensive 200 gr Hornady XTP is designed to expand well at these low velocities and combines penetration with good expansion very much like a rifle. Instead of the classic Hornady cone shaped cavity, the cavity is filled with lead with a hole drilled or cast into the exposed lead. The SD is the same as the 240 gr 44 Mag, but the BC is over .200 and hence the down range performance.

Now a good 10MM can drive this bullet to 1200 fps, but IMHO, the added recoil is just not worth it. There is something about the slide weight and spring force that works out to a "sweet spot" right around 7.5 grs of Longshot.

In my experiments, the powder is the key to all of this, and the pistol is just loafing along at about 28,000 psi with good reliable feeding and extraction. THIS is the load the FBI was looking for, but there was no Longshot back then.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sabot,
this is my wife's pistol.. the eaa compact 10mm

my settled load, after a bit of testing, was 180gr at 1100fps.. VERY close to what you came up with..

this CAN hit 1300... if you don't want to have that firearm long...

i've only hunted with it 50 yards and in.. but good lord, one behind the ear on feral hogs.....

just like an 80 # sack hitting the dirt

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 'carry' pistol is a Glock 20. By that, I mean that I carry it in my truck and with me when I'm hunting pigs, ornery cottontails, or tracking deer, etc.

I guess the heavy slide makes the difference, but I can shoot full-house loads with no problems at all. The recoil is about the same as a full-sized (albeit smaller) Glock .40.

I've shot 6" groups with it at 100 yards with factory ammo, all at point of aim! I agree that the reduced load you described was probably what the FBI needed. If they had found it, the mighty 10 would be much more popular today. I think it's a terrific round.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated below I like my full grown glock 10mm,

I have not started reloading for it yet but shoot the Winchester 175??? grain silvertips and plink with the CCI blazers,,

Recoil is not a problem as I have an aftermarket ported barrel that is long enough to hunt with here in NC (6")

I have shot at two deer and recovered 2 deer both shot through the lungs from 20-40 yards, both pass throughs both lotsa lung damage, It is my carry gun as well

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sabot,
Longshot is an amazing powder! I have only used it in shotshells, but it allows me to make loads that I could only dream about ten years ago. If you do any long range duck or goose hunting send me a PM and I'll give you some references for some Bismuth loads that are "all that and then some". I think it is the smooth, spread out presssure curve that makes the felt/perceived recoil so manageable.
It is much easier and pleasant to make a mellow load for a case with a large powder capacity than to try and squeeze adequate power from a case that is tight on space. This reminds me of pushing a 500 grain .458" bullet at 2150 fps from a rifle. An easy pleasure from a 458 Lott, and a nearly impossible dream from a 458 Win Mag. Thanks for the load. I may have to get an EAA Witness in 10 mm just to play around.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested in a 10mm I have one for sale in the classifieds.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JCN -

You are right on with the description of Longshot....it has a very flat pressure curve for a shotgun/pistol powder. In pistol ammo, when you add inches to the bbl the velocity keeps on climbing abruptly. In my Ruger P4 carbine in 40 S&W 12 grs drive the tough 135 Sierra JHC 1900 fps!! Pressure is mild. This is a FAR better police Entry Load than the 223 with 50% more knockdown and less penetration.

I note in the load manuals that Longshot is driving 1.5 oz 12 GA loads 1550 fps, again at modest pressures. That Bismuth shot must really get out there...

I do recommend the EAA as a good choice for a test bed. They are crude, but very strong and reliable. They are nearly identical to the CZ 75s, but dressed in blue jeans instead of a skirt.

The best factory ammo so far is the Hornady 155 gr XTPs which I clocked at 1345 fps, plus or minus 12 fps. Recoil is more than my "FBI" load, but not terrible and you are talking 625 FPE anyway...too much power in close, unless you want to put a whopping dent in someone's body armor.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the load info. My Glock 20 is great. It handles everything from light loads that barely make USPSA major power to full house stuff that hurts to shoot. I've settled on the 180 XTP and Blue Dot myself. Off hand hits on pop cans at 40 yds are no trouble. It just shoots so flat - how can you go wrong? Gotta love the 10mm. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When loading Bismuth shot shells for short range work without buffer go for a velocity of about 1250 fps. When loading with buffer for longer range loads shoot for 1300 - 1350. Any faster and the pattern gets very spotty. The best buffer to use is the PSB (plastic spherical bead) type from Precision Reloading.
What I really like about loading with bismuth is that I can grab a box of shells and go hunting with any shotgun made (except Damascus barreled of course). Since the leads are the same as for lead I can go back and forth between upland birds and waterfowl without getting too confused about where to point the gun. Also, there ain't a duck flying that can't be drilled and dropped at 50 yards with a well proportioned 3" shell. Speaking of which, there are very few actual 50 yard shots in bird hunting. The big exception to that is goose hunting in Texas. Those old Snow Geese travel in gaggles of 5-10 thousand, and you'd best be on your long range game....

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote