New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI Magnum Primers vs Federal Mag Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have some load data for my 376 Steyr that calls for Federal Mag Primers. We they are not available locally but I can buy CCI Mag Primers and I have Winchester Primers. Anyone notice any difference? I did see the post about the Box that Federals Primers Come In but I use an RCBI Primer tool.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fed 215 LR Mag primer cups are thinner/softer in comparison to the CCI 250 LR Mag primer cups.

Fed 210's may work in the 376 Steyr depending on powder type & ambient temperatures.

I can't comment on the Win primers,as I haven't loaded a Win primer.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Federal 215 is generally considered the "hottest" of the "magnum" primers. However, the difference between velocities and pressures you would experience with it as compared to a CCI 250 or even a WW WLR (non-magnum) will be minimal (the WLR seems to be among the "hottest" of non-magnum primers). Certainly, you won't have a load which generates "safe" pressures with one and "unsafe" pressures with another.

I have supplies of all three of the primers you mention, and although I don't necessarily use them interchangably, there would be no danger in doing so. It seems that the "very hot" Federal 215 is most favored when extremely cold temperatures are expected or when using very large volumes of slow powder in cases like the RUM's and Weatherby's. It is generally not the best primer for consistent velocities and best accuracy.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both and have not noticed a diffrence in accuracy or cold weather performance. After useing 1000s of each I have never had one of either fail to perform in a range of cases from 243 to 30-378. I have standardized on all Federal primers because they are made 45 minutes from my house and I have nieghbors that work at the plant, but that's about the only reason.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have standardized on all Federal primers because they are made 45 minutes from my house and I have nieghbors that work at the plant, but that's about the only reason.

That's a great reason. I'm sure I'd do the same.

Now if we could only get them to change the packaging to something a little more compact and that wasn't so difficult to transfer the primers from.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now if we could only get them to change the packaging to something a little more compact and that wasn't so difficult to transfer the primers from.

As I remember Federal primer were packaged the same way as the other brands of primers years ago. There was an accident in transport were a box of Federal primers were detonated. The new big trays that Federal primers are packaged in today is a result of an agreement with the DOT. The only reason the other manufacturers don’t have to go to big trays like Federal is because none of their primers have ever detonated in transport.

This may or may not be true but that’s the story I was told.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote