THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Berger 190 Match VLD Hunting bullets with Retumbo

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger 190 Match VLD Hunting bullets with Retumbo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bushwackr
posted
Does any one have some info on this combo, Like Primers, Powder Charge in a 300 win mag. Or has anyone had any rifle time with this combo. Thanks

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
- Ted Nugent -

Posts: 55 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 18 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retumbo is WAY too slow for the 300 Winchester with any bullet for optimum performance. RL-25 with 180s and heavier is your brew in the 300.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure that retumbo is WAY to slow but definately as slow as you'll want to go and I agree that faster may well be better...IE RE22,25,7828 H1000. I've used highly compressed retumbo (83 grains) with some 180 grainers in the 300 win with good accuracy and velocity. But I still like the likes of RE22---or should I say my gun does.
I have read from an excellent source that the berger vld's often shoot better when seated into the lands about .010-.020".
If I were you and wanted to try these bullets out I'd be loading about 5 rounds ea of some of the popular powders....set the bullet to the lands...and let the testing begin.
BTW...I take a boresnake to the range when testing different powders....I run it through the barrel one time whenever I switch to another brand of propellant.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading my 300 Win with H4831 77.0 grains and a Nosler 180 BT with speed at 3050fps out of a 26" barrel. Tried the Retumbo but found I ran out of case capacity before I got the velocity I was looking for in some long distance shooting on elk and deer.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
Retumbo is WAY too slow for the 300 Winchester with any bullet for optimum performance. RL-25 with 180s and heavier is your brew in the 300.

In looking at you name 30378, I wondered if you were using that caliber for a set up for some long distance big game hunting?

I've heard and read that the 30-378 is an optimum choice for extended range shooting and wondered what your experiences were in that area if that's one of your playgrounds.

I've decided to dedicate a lot of time this summer working on practicing at those longer distances and find that the longer shots are more plentiful as the distances strench out here in the West.

Let me know what you've done in that area as far as loads and rifles if you have a minute or two. Thanks

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote