Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Original Bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone perhaps ever tried the 180gr Barnes Original Bullets (Discontinued thesedays) in Their .270's?? I'm in South Africa and Barnes-X is basically all that I use, I can't get any of the Original bullets over here (perhaps someone might still have some left??) but would like to hear about their performance and accuracy.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
No, I have only used the old Speer 170-grain RN bullets in the .270. My load was 56 grains of H4831, and they worked quite well on moose! I suppose they are probably as hard to get these days as the Barnes 180's.

I would also like to try the Barnes Original 195's in 7mm......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Anyone Perhaps used the 250gr's in 30Cal or the 300gr's in .338?? Maybe the 115gr's in a .243???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Lourens, Long, l-o-n-g ago I used a good many of the Fred Barnes Originals. Only I used his "lighter weights" with the thinner jackets for what I was hunting - Deer, Hogs and Bear. He made a couple of different Jacket Thicknesses in the different weights.

I still have some 125gr 0.284" bullets(#28410) that do not have the jacket thickness on the box. So, perhaps he only made it in one jacket.

And I still have some 200gr 0.358" bullets(#35810) that have " .032 JACKET " listed on the box.

All my 30cal Originals are long gone, so I've nothing to offer with them as far as specific data.
---

As to Performance and Accuracy, I've never recovered one with the shots I take. They ALWAYS made an Exit for me.

Accuracy was fine for any hunting I did with them inside 400yds. They are not as overall accurate as current production "hunting" bullets. But, that would be true for ANY bullets made back when these were, perhaps 30 years ago.

I never needed the really HEAVY bullets, so I just can't help you there at all.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Lourens, Long, l-o-n-g ago I used a good many of the Fred Barnes Originals.

I just knew you had some redeaming qualities. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to carry stripper clips full of 250 gr for my .30-06 when I lived in Alaska. I don't remember the load, but I believe it was 220 gr load a couple grains under max with IMR 4350..I think.

Used to be fella in Soldotna, AK that shot a Mod 70, .243 for everything and he used 115 gr RN. I saw a 55"+ moose he shot with that load and it was real dead. He flew a bright green Super Cub and always had his Mod 70 with him. Don't know the load.

Barnes should have data for their old bullets available on their web site...maybe.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote