New
Find
Notify
Tools

BR-2 vs. Fed210M
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've experienced some "bad luck" with CCI BR-2 primers. I've had 4 misfires. With some other loads I've switched to Federal 210M primers and they seem to work well. Is there a major difference between the two? Have others had problems with CCI primers?

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I have noticed that the CCI BR-2's do a better job (accuracy wise) than any other primer when Varget is the powder.

For all other purposes, I think the Federal Gold Medals are as good, and possibly better depending on the powder.

If you have experienced misfires with CCI primers from different lots, I would suspect the firearm. CCI's have a harder cup than some other primers, and the CCI BR's are reported (by the CCI techs) to have harder cups than even their standard primers.

There may be some build up of crud around the firing pin, or the hammer spring may be fatigued...

If you're having no problem with the Federal primers, you may do well to simply stick with them.

Dan Newberry
green 788

<Don Martin29>
posted
I had a misfire too from CCI primers and I am sure it was due to the fact that they are shorter than other primers! The cartridge is a .358 Win and the brass was new, unfired and the rifle an old and much used M99. The combination of tolerances caused by some headspace in the rifle, new cases that were not fireformed, primer pockets that were cut by me with a Whitetail tool to specification and the aformentioned short CCI primers caused the misfire.

Just measure primers from the anvil top to the bottom and CCI's are short! I am switching to Federals for most cartridges and I will get rid of they thousands of CCI's that I have in cartridges where I know it will not matter.

<green 788>
posted
The CCI's are shorter than the Federals. I just measured some and the CCI's are .125" whereas the Federals are .128".

For the record, my Remington 9 1/2's measured .131", longest of all...

WLR's are short as well, tying with the CCI's at .125".

I would suspect, though, that if all is well with your rifle, you shouldn't have a problem with the CCI's--I know that I've never had.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
DonMartin29,
Interesting that your misfires were with a 358. That's where I had my misfires! It was new brass formed from 308 winchester. The CCI's shot fine in my other rifles. The 358 has no problems with the Federals. Maybe my rifle (Model 70) has a shorter firing pin?

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey, this is all starting to sound like deja vu. I also had a Model 70 (it was a 7-08, tho..) that misfired a few times using CCI primers. Measuring them, I found the same results you did -they're thinner than other primers. Switched to WLR's and the problem went away (that lot of WLR's was thicker than the CCI's).

Later, talked to a 'smith who told me he's seen a lot of Model 70's with a burr on the interior of the bolt, which doesn't allow the firing pin to protrude as much as it should. A few thousandths is all it takes.

R-WEST

[ 11-27-2002, 18:57: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bob257:
DonMartin29,
Interesting that your misfires were with a 358. That's where I had my misfires! It was new brass formed from 308 winchester. The CCI's shot fine in my other rifles. The 358 has no problems with the Federals. Maybe my rifle (Model 70) has a shorter firing pin?

Bob257

-------------------------------------------------
In a previous thread this came up and Green 788 asked how much my firing pin extended and I did not answer as it's so difficult to measure in a 99. But I am satisfied that what I concluded is enough information. 99's have a hammer that hits the firing pin and they are very reliable. Of course the .358 has a small shoulder and only a 20 degree angle but cartridges with less of a shoulder work too.

This bothers me as it's the first misfire that I have ever had in 50 years of reloading. In the past I did not have the Whitetail primer pocket bottoming tool. Somewhere I feel (not know for certain) that CCI's fit tight in some pockets due to diameter. I am guessing here.

It seems primer choice can be important but I admit I ignored it for a long time.