THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easiest to use case/bullet runout indicator?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

I don't have a runout indicator yet, but am looking for one. I've tried using a v-block and dial indicator, but it's difficult to get a good reading due to case to v-block friction and the shape of the case body causing wobble. Was wondering which manufactured indicators are the easiest to get accurate readings? Also, same question for case-neck thickness gauges. Thanks for your wisdom in advance.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a ball bearing, dial indicator and granite surface plate arrangement I rigged. I can measure any case at any point. For neck thickness I use a Mitutoyo TUBE micrometer with the ball anvil.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The NECO is probably the most sophisticated gauge. Does many functions. I like the Sinclair which is what I use, but it's pure concentricity gauge. Not quite like the NECO.

Agree with previous poster on the Mitutuyo ball micrometer, also available from Sinclair.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I like and use the Sinclair like bob it is easy. My friend has one made by Darrel Hollands it is very nice also.

<jeff crowe>
posted
The best runout indicator is the flat table top.
Runout can easily be detected merely by observation of the cartridge rolling on the table.
Sorry, Mr. Sinclair.

Jeff