New
Find
Notify
Tools

most suitable powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read thet it is desirable for a (choice of) powder to fill up as much of the volume of the cartridge as possible in a safe (maximum) charfe so that as little as possible empty space is left inside tha cartridge.
Is this true?
(Of course seating depth plays a part here aswell.)

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
No always true. If the charge weight of the powder is listed in data you should be fine. Some powders/cartridges may list data using slow bulky powder that fill the case, but give poor performance. No set rule here.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reindeer:
I read thet it is desirable for a (choice of) powder to fill up as much of the volume of the cartridge as possible in a safe (maximum) charfe so that as little as possible empty space is left inside tha cartridge.
Is this true?

It is desirable. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by reindeer:
Is this true?

It is desiable. beerroger

+1.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2

It's not a rule; it's not an absolute, but over time, you'll find it's a pretty good idea.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I consider it to be a good indicator that it is a very suitable powder if it takes about 95% or so of capacity.. tu2

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, powders which come close to filling the case, or are even slightly compressed, tend to provide the most consistent velocities. However, a standard deviation of 5 fps doesen't always exhibit superior accuracy to one of 20 fps, so the value of consistent velocity can be overstated.

I personally prefer powders that run in the range of 95-105% of case capacity (capacity excluding the space occupied by the bullet), but several of the .22 centerfires tend to be exceptions with some of their best loads being more in the 80-90% range.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is to be avoided are loads where the powder is around 60% or less. Tests have shown that the position of the powder in the case can then have surprising results.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote