Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon vs Ponsness Warren
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day folks

I have been told repeatedly by local shotgunners that the Ponsness Warren is my best bet for a shotshell reloader to replace my MEC 600. Looking into the cost I see that the Ponsness Warren 800 Plus and Dillon SL900 are very close in price. Any comments on the choice? I've not used either before and have only other's experience as a guide.

thanks

DJ

Posts: 88 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'd take the dillon over the Pons....however, I'll take my RCBS grand over both of them.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the Dillon set up at the local Sheels store. It looks like a real nice loader. I was there ordering my Dillon xl 650, which I really like!

My progressive loader is the Hornady 366. This is 70's technology, formerly made by pacific, it does NOT have shell sensors for the shot/powder stations. So unless you make sure those are shut off, you can and will have a mess to clean up. Ponsness is also older tech stuff.

Dillon is tops for customer service IF you had a problem or needed parts. So far,(after 4 weeks), I've had no reason to call for help with the 650. Instructions were very good, set-up was easy and loads are the best I've made. I have 35 years loading experience though.....

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MEC9000G

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the MEC 9000G. The only trouble I have with mine is when some idiot forgets to put a wad in.

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MEC9000G

I've done just over 6,000 rounds with the MEC so far without problem. The loads included a wide variety of hulls and component combinations. There are better machines for allot more money but I don't think the more expensive machines have anything to offer other than possibly a higher level of convenience. I really like the collet sizer in the MEC compared to the swaging type in the Dillon.

A friend has the Dillon but just can't seem to get it to work as it should despite Dillon's assistance.

Posts: 19 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PW
Mines been going for over 15 years of league trap!

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've a P-W 800 and two Pacific 366s (now Hornady) and a MEC 650. The P-W is a little trouble to keep the indexing timed. For the money the 366 with auto indexing is my preference.

I've no experience with Dillon shotshell loaders, but my RL550 is great, so I wouldn't be reluctant to try theirs.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you simply want the best progressive reloader on the market for shotshells go with the Spolar Gold. www.spolargold.com Costly, but quality usually is. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the middle 1970's a friend had the top 'o the line PW (model 1200?) and loved it. It's only bad habit was occasionally flipping a primer out of the feed trough instead of feeding it correctly. It didn't happen often, and was the only wart on the nose of an otherwise outstanding machine.

Much has changed since then, and I have no hands-on with recent machines, but it's hard to imagine going too far wrong with the PW or the Dillon, for that matter.

Bigiron