THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with cheaper .22 centerfire bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If memory serves me well, last time I checked Hornady and Sierra website for bullet prices, I concluded that a box of 6mm(or whatever) and a box of .308(or whatever) bullet of the same category, i.e. hunting bullets vs hunting bullets, match vs match, have prices that's very close if not the same, I assumed the cost of metal used in each bullet play a minor role in differentiating their prices.

However when it comes to .22 centerfire bullets, the price is at least 1/3 less. .22 centerfire bullets are by no means lesser products quality-wise and accuracy-wise. What I don't understand is while .22's are subjected to the same quality control, made with lesser amount of material(which does not matter much), can be 1/3, sometimes 1/2 cheaper. Not that I want them to be priced higher, just wonder why?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that there are most likely just a heck of a lot more of them made. Shooters are most likely more price sensitive with them each maker wants you hook on their brand so if they get you to buy 224s you most likely will buy the big stuff from them also.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is the more of anything you make, the cheaper it becomes. And I'm guessing they sell more .224 caliber bullets than anything. Doubtless they have .224 bullets lying around by the tons. But obviously a .224 bullet uses about 1/3 as much material as a .30 cal. As for the quality control stuff, that's built into the equipment and cost the same for any bullet.
Just my wild eyed guess. :]

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

[This message has been edited by Pecos45 (edited 05-05-2002).]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Here's a wild assed guess . . .

The .224 bullets are way lighter and therefore cheaper to ship. Shipping runs up the price of bullets insofar as they're heavy items.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good points, especially the shipping aspect.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Sniper06>
posted
Pyrotek, if you want REALLY CHEAP .224" bullets, check out the 55 grain I.M.I.'s. They vary as much as +/- 2 grains, but they are cheap so I order them and keep a few thousand of those loads for "a rainy day". If you want real accuracy, go to Sierra MK, or Berger bullets, they cost more but in the centerfire matches of today, you either get in the game or loose out of the game. I shoot against folks who have super heavy Hart custom barrels and micrometer sights, among other illegalities like triggers, which would explain why I am one of the lower shooters in the "Expert" class. All I have is a stock AR-15 Parts gun with NO illegal conversions or modifications. I don't mind so much, would rather shoot my .45-70 any old day. I think if the N.R.A. came to these matches, things would be different. But no skin off my butt.