New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 243 howa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are you certain there is no problem with scope or mounts? Did it shoot the good groups before bedding?

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bases are glued and screwed to the action, have tried two different scopes on the rifle with no change.It shot good groups before the bedding and got a little better after and lost its vertical stringing habit.
I'm about to try some factory loads.The ram on my press is very worn and moves about 1/8" front to rear at the top of its stroke so I guess I'm looking at the loads I'm making.I regularly reckeck the powder charges when I'm reloading but I have no way of checking concentricity when I seat the bullets.I dont know if it would make that big a change but I just gotta find the reason for my loss of accuracy.

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good news is that my reloads are at least on a par with factory loads.Bad news is that there isn't any change for the better in the accuracy dept.

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trevofkal,

re check your mounts, ensure action screws are tightend with even tension and rifle stock fit is exact . Try seating your projectiles further out, and re check your grps, may work. Ensure there is no damage to the crown of the barrel. How many rounds have you put through it? Those howas usually shoot really well, seems a bit unusual.

cheers 338w

Posts: 57 | Location: vic, Aust | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trevo-

You might want to try one of the lead wipe products that are out there. It is a heavy cloth that is impregnated with some type of solvent. I think the stuff that I have is made by Kleen Bore. Anyway, this product has worked wonders for me. I have been "done" cleaning my bore (patches coming out clean), and then run a patch of the lead wipe thru and it comes out black! It really works.

Jasper243

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote