Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Savage loads
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for some easy loads in 300 Savage for use in a 14" Contender barrel.

I have been looking all through my data, old and new, and am thinking that I should stick to loads listed for a 30-30 AI. Would this be acceptable, or would the back-thrust be too much? I was going to stick with either 4198, RL7 or some other stick powder for normal loads.

I was also curious as to 6 gr. of unique would be too much for a 170 gr. cast bullet w/o a gc?

Thanks!
Darrell

Vitesse Et Puissance

"If you have men who will exclude any of god's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."

St Francis of Assisi

Posts: 7 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been shooting the 300 savage in a contender since 1987.

I been using H322 with CCI 350 mag pistol primers so I can monitor the pressure a little better. Using 130gr Hornady SP and 39.5grs of powder I have chronographed the velocity at 2540fps.

I started at 37grains and worked up, and even went a little past my final load and after talking with Mike Bellm, who made the barrel for me, I followed his advise and dropped the powder down to where I have it now.

It will normally hold 1" and under groups at 100yds.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HL,

Thanks for the response. I will get some H-322 this weekend and try this. I have some 120 gr. Sierra HP's that I think might do nicely with this barrel and your advice and experience just made me feel much more comfortable. Smiler
Have you ever tried to use anything up to or around 145-150 gr. ?

Thanks again for the advice!
Darrell

Vitesse Et Puissance

"If you have men who will exclude any of god's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."

St Francis of Assisi

Posts: 7 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
130gr bullets is a high as I have gone. I wanted to keep the velocity at 2500+. I have not tried any 120 or 125's as of yet.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote