New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for an AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am just going to start reloading for my AR. I have experience reloading however never for a semi automatic.

I couple of years ago I thought I received a pdf file from Sierra bullets on tips and tricks for reloading for an AR.

Does anyone have this pdf file and if so can I get it from you.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have their latest reloading manual?

They have a section reloading for the AR.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
only thing different than the usual I did was use small base dies. Some folks crimp and some don't. I don't and never had any bullet move in the brass. An article recomended to use the max powder charge to cycle better but i load half grain under max.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have fed ARs w barrel lengths from 11.5" (registered) to 20" over the years. Only "trick" I ran into that makes life easier is to use a taper crimp.

For high rate progressives a Carbide sizing die is nice but not necessary.

Never needed a small base die in this caliber.

Have fun!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small base dies are not needed. I think the info you want is available here on Sierra's website:

http://www.exteriorballistics....ics/gasgunreload.cfm

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bought the small base die for a mini 14 and just keep using it. you may not need one for every rifle but still use it any way.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The only trick that I know is to make sure that they're short enough to fit in the magazine.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of my lighter .223 loads won't always cycle the action of my AR, or end up with inconsistant feeding as a result. I discovered that my mini-14 was much less picky--as well as less accurate.

I haven't needed a small base die for either gun, and crimping doesn't seem to be needed either.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tricks are for Kids !.

An AR is like any other Rifle in respect to loading , as Frank says OAL must fit magazine or you're

loading one at a time through the gate !.

Powder choices are abundant I like BLC-2 Varget H -335 IMR 4895 as well as some others .

My best accuracy comes from a 69 grain Sierra match with BLC-2 under .250" per #15 counted at 100 M

I've had Bulk Remington 55 grain with Cannelures using BLC-2 stack inside a dime for # 15 counted at 100 M .

Now Realize what YOU CAN DO !. thumb archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amamnn:
Small base dies are not needed.

It's rare but the occasional AR does need a small base die, I have one that does.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Get a Dillon .223 case gauge. Takes most of the guesswork out of sizing the cases.
http://www.dillonprecision.com...lon_Rifle_Case_Gages

I load ammo for a living. We use these gauges all the time to check our ammo.

Be mindful of primers that are too high or too low.

There are a lot of good powders that work in .223. H335, Varget RL15 and TAC among others.
I recently switched to TAC for 55gr bullets because it was the only powder I can find. It's comparable to H335 and works well in .223.
For heavy bullets like 69 and 75 gr bullets I like Varget or RL15.

I put a light crimp on my .223 loads. I did some informal testing and found the groups were a little better with a light crimp. YMMV

Small base dies shouldn't be needed. I tried small base dies and all I got was a stuck case for my troubles.

I try not to trim fired cases until I have to.
I measure all my cases after resizing, if they are over 1.758" I trim them back to 1.756"

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I was looking to reload for a fighting rifle class I will be taking in the future. Trying to cut down the costs.

I have reloaded 223 for my bolt guns with no issues but I have heard different stories about reloading for an AR. Such things as crimp, cannelure bullets etc.

I use a surplus powder currently that is 5% faster than H335. All my brass will be once fired AR brass from different manufacturers. I will be sorting it out according to manufacturers.

I just want to make sure that I have no reliablity issues when taking the course or my cost savings have gone to waste.

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded a bunch of them with absolutely 100 % reliability. I don't crimp bullets, load like any other precision handload, keep the OAL a bit to the short side, as they have to fit the magazine of course. That is the only thing I do different than any bolt rifle. Of course FL size them and make sure the primer pockets are clean so you won't have a high primer.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote