Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Barnes XLC?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I have never used these on game yet . They do shoot great out of my 378 WBY Mag at 3130 fps. My concern is that I have heard that these sometimes these do NOT expand at there intended speeds. Any experiences out there? Thanx.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've heard people claim they "don't expand", but I've never seen it. The earlier bullets had a smaller hollowpoint, and the theory was/is that that small hole could get plugged with something. Some (like me) even went so far as to run a small drill-bit into it to get any gunk out. Probably unnecessary, but doesn't hurt any. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP,

I've always been a fan of Barnes, and yes I've heard alot of people saying they didnot expand very well. I think they may do better at higher velocity and that could be one reason Barnes suggest using a lighter wt bullet.

I have only recovered 1 bullet and it looked like a picture ad for Barnes, perfect peel back mushroom. All others have exited which makes tracking easy. Here in WNC this is good because deer may only run 30 yards or so but you may be on your knees in the mt. laurel following a trail.

Exit holes are sometimes small but the wound channel is always huge!!

Just my opinion

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have never had an expansion problem with the X bullet. Higher velocity is better with the Barnes product.Make positive to clean your bore with Barnes CR-10 before you start using the X bullet. If the bore is not completely clean of copper residue your accuracy will suffer. A clean bore will give you great accuracy-- an unclean bore will give sometimes very poor accuracy.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP,

Cannot comment on their expansion. I have only used them once on a game animal. I used 325 grain Barnes "X" bullet in a 416 Rigby at a chronographed 2765 fps. It took two to drop the bull, both chest shots (first one was a heart shot so the second wasn't really necessary but what the hay).

They passed through with only minimal and I mean minimal damage, like I stabbed him with a couple of 0.416 needles. Needless to say, I don't intend on using them again, as I am concerned that will this level of tissue trauma (read nearly non-existent), a less well placed shot (one not in the heart itself) may have left with me a long track, or worse a lost animal! Therefore, I will be sticking with Woodleigh 340 grain PP or Speer 350 grain MagTip from now on.

Don't know how or if this correlates at all the the .375 XLC bullet's performance. Just my experience, for whatever it is worth (probably not much, eh)

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a few failures with the Barnes X not opening and the latest with that 165 gr. blue pill they have in a a 300 H&H on a coyote, it drilled and he ran a mile and expired...Not happy with that one...

By the same token I have seen a lot of Cape Buffalo shot with Barnes X bullets in the 416 350 adn 400 gr., 458 Lott 450 and 500 Gr. and 375s in 270 and 300 gr. and they every one worked to perfection...

Which would lead one to believe that they work on big stuff but ocassionally fail on smaller animals like plainsgame, but I don't believe that for a moment, probably a better synopsis is "s--t happens"!

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx fellas.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP ----- The 225 grain Barnes XLC shoots with excellent accuracy through my .340 Wby. I load it to about 3150 fps and have killed several Deer and 3 Bull Elk with the load. The first time I used it on Elk I was 250 yards from the Bull up a very high mountain in Colorado and it was lightly snowing. I shot the Bull standing with his right side to me and just behind the shoulder. He turned and by the time I got on him again his left side was to me and I put another bullet in the same spot, this time he hit the ground like a ton of bricks. Upon dressing him out I found the two bullet holes within 2 inchs of each other and each had two blue petals of brass on the side of the exit hole on the off side in the hide, which were on opposite sides. I was totally amazed at the job the XLC's had done and could only imagine the damage done by the twisting bullets as they penetrated the animal, and at the same time amazed at the toughness of the Elk to retain the petals as the bullet kept on trucking. That rifle likes the XLC's and the North Forks and will chastize me if I shoot anything else through them. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Nice report ..thanx!

posted Hide Post
Saeed has used the .375 'X' bullets for years in his .375/.404. If they'll expand at those velocities, they'll expand at .378Wby. velocities.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote