Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Reloader Here- Dillon Square Deal
 Login/Join

posted
fyi- Brand new reloader here; as in never. I was given an old Dillon SDB with 9mm stuff, 1k of brass/bullets to play with. I was wondering if anyone can list some tips and answer questions I have, time permitting. I'll be pistol only with 9mm; 40; 45acp.

thanks,

Cowboy

1- I'm having Dillon overhaul and upgrade it so now What Accessories do I need to get for the SDB?
2- What reloading books do I "have to have" ?
3- Does anyone know of a good DVD for starters?

***any extra tips or stuff please advise.

thansks again.

Rookie Reloader.
loading for = M/P 9mm & 40
Sigma 9mmF --
Kimber 10Pro-45

Posts: 1 | Location: Memphis, TN, USA | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your new acquisiton!

In regards to beginning advice, my first suggestion is to try and find a reloader local to you who can help set everything up. Dillon makes great products, some of the best IMHO, but a lot of stuff happens every time you pull on that handle, and it can be somewhat steep of a learning curve to use that press when starting at square one.

If you fill out your profile here, there may be someone local who can help you get started. Otherwise where ever you get your components locally just ask them if they can suggest someone to call for some advice.

Now, if you live in a place similar to where I grew up and there is absolutely no one and you have to learn for yourself, I would suggest getting a cheap single stage press to learn on, and after a couple of hours you'll know a heck of a lot more and can start getting your Dillon set up. Don't worry, you will always have a use for your single stage press.

Here is the help link for the Dillon, if you glance at it you can have an idea of what you are getting yourself into:

http://www.dillonhelp.com/sdbenghelp/sdb/sdb_tech_help_pg1.htm

Not to discourage you, but take my word the first couple of weekends with a blue press is an exercise in hair pulling but once it is all set up man oh man are they nice!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote