Find
Notify
Tools

Neck Turning Gonna Help?
 Login/Join

<PowderBurns>
posted
Rem. 700 PSS in .223 . . .

Stock barrel/chamber. Will turning the necks on my brass improve groups? I'm fire forming and neck sizing.

I know that turning will work on a tight neck chamber, but what about a standard chamber?

Jeez! This is a hot forum!

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<Mike M>
posted
The necks on most brass are usually thicker on one side than the other. I usually turn mine just enough to true them up after firing once and full length resizing. (Just removing metal from the thick side. You don't want to turn them to much.)

Will it improve accuracy in your factory rifle? -- Maybe a little. Just depends on how good or bad your brass is and how accurate your rifle is.

Is it worth the effort? -- Depends on how picky you are and whether you consider reloading to be work or play.

Uniforming primer pockets, deburring flasholes and sorting by weight is probably more productive.

[This message has been edited by Mike M (edited 06-09-2001).]

<Rust>
posted
Where cleaning up the necks can help a little is by helping achieve coeccentric bullet seating in your dies. Sort through and pick out brass with bad neck thickness variations. Clean a few up, seat some bullets in both and check the variations in runout. If you see and improvement in runout, there you go.

One thing about neck thickness variations, if the neck has thickness variations, that usually means the rest of the case follows suit. This can, depending on the severity, lead to "banana cases" after a few realodings as the brass does not spring back uniformly.

<ssleefl>
posted
G David Tubb says in his 2 set sierra videos that turning necks is more important to him than ; primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, measuring each powder charge, weighing brass, or spinning cases. That says something to me

<PowderBurns>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ssleefl:
G David Tubb says in his 2 set sierra videos that turning necks is more important to him than ; primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, measuring each powder charge, weighing brass, or spinning cases. That says something to me

That's my feeling. The neck is where all the action between bullet and barrel comes into play. I'm shooting a Rem. 700 PSS and looking to get gnat's ass accuracy off the bench -- cause it's play, not work.

Sinclair the way to go for these tools?

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

<Powderman>
posted
I use the RCBS turner, but I am really impressed with the Sinclair tool. I think that you will make a wise choice to procure one.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Careful with neck turning. Tubb, and the benchrest crowd shoot/shot rifles that are chambered differently. For extreme accuracy you need to achieve perfect alignment of the cartridge to the axis of the bore. Neck turning creates more clearance in the neck which affects this alignment. In many factory chambered rifles, and customs as well, neck clearance is already too much. Neck turning will exaggerate the condition.

I seldom turn necks. If the wall thickness in the neck varies no more than .0015", leave them alone. If it's more than than I clean up the irregularity if not more than about .0025". If more than that, dump the brass, get another lot, and start over. Bob

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote