Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady SST
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two reports on SST's

First is from a fellow using a 270 Win and 130 gr SST on Blesboks & Springboks.

After he shot a couple, his PH adivsed him, that he best be shooting a different bullet, if ever wanted one to give to the taxidermist.

Seems they just come apart, and do tremendous damage.

The other is using a 300 Win with 165 SST. Seems she shot a Leopard at 50 yards off a bait.

Instant kill, but the bullet never came out. Just "blewup" inside, killing him instantly.

Beats shooing him with a 300 gr 375 H&H, and gettng a small exit hole and a Leopard that runs.

Third was from a fellow using a 150 gr SST on Alberta Deer last fall.

At 350 yards, the bullet did a perfect job, and did exit the Deer.

Seems once they slow down, they are just great.

They might be perfect in the 308 Win or 300 Sav.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Last fall on a rainy day I cut one apart. I coulnd't tell it from the regular hornady that I had cut apart. IMHO it is an interlock with a plastic tip. It will never give partition, scirrocco, a-frame, barnes type perfermance. IT WILL do anything the I-lock did and maybe fly a little flatter. Alot of people have come to love the I-Lock. In my book its THE BEST of the non premium bullets. (and certainly tougher than a ballistic tip)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
I have two reports on SST's

First is from a fellow using a 270 Win and 130 gr SST on Blesboks & Springboks.

After he shot a couple, his PH adivsed him, that he best be shooting a different bullet, if ever wanted one to give to the taxidermist.

Seems they just come apart, and do tremendous damage.

The other is using a 300 Win with 165 SST. Seems she shot a Leopard at 50 yards off a bait.

Instant kill, but the bullet never came out. Just "blewup" inside, killing him instantly.

Beats shooing him with a 300 gr 375 H&H, and gettng a small exit hole and a Leopard that runs.

Near as I can tell from Hornady's own promotion of the SST bullet, that seems to be exactly the kind of performance they wanted to sell - instant blow-up within the targetted game, instant lethal hit, little or no tracking needed.

That seems to be what they got, judging by the items you related, Terry.

I've been thinking about trying a couple of SST loads for the new 100 gr 6mm and the 129 gr 6.5 mm offerings just released recently by Hornady for Central Texas Deer. Instant drops on those small deer might prove better than trying to track blood trails through thick cedar stands.

TXLoader

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<jayloar>
posted
I took a mule deer and an elk last year with the 150gr SST from a 300 WSM. Mule deer was 315 yards (laser) and elk was roughly 100 yards. Deer had complete penetration and exit through the back side of the lungs, the elk went through rib on the way in and rested just under the skin on the off side shoulder. Weight retention was a little about 55%. The elk went about 30 yards and then just laid down, dead.

My take is that the SST is a little tougher than the ballistic tip. I like the bullet quite a bit and they certainly are accurate. Next year I think I'll use something stouter for elk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed 5 deer in Alabama during 2001 & 2002 season. Two 130 class bucks & 3 does. Used 130 gr SST in .270 Win. and 165 gr. SST in 30/06. All were one shot kills ( droped in tracks except one), one buck with .270 & one with 30/06. One buck went about 20yd (.270) with a lung shot. The SST is a great bullet for whitetail will use again this hunting season.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on trying some of the 165-grainers in my .308 Winchester target loads, after necksizing and using a Lee Factory Crimp Die at the cannelure. The idea of hunting with a 15.5-pound rifle doesn't excite me, but I might be persuaded -- depending on the accuracy results I get from a "hunting" bullet.

Russ

[ 06-10-2002, 21:04: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 139 gr 7mm SST bullet in a 7mm Wby last fall. Pushing it as fast as I could from the 7mm Wby I took a nice whitetail buck at almost 300 yds.The buck dropped on the spot. Hit him high in the lungs. The bullet broke a rib on the way in ,wrecked the lungs and exited. It is the most accurate bullet I have found in this rifle.While it may not hold together as well as a partition or an A-frame it gets the job done and I plan on using it again.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel I shot quite a few deer with 308 match kings never hand any trouble with them. Why not use your target bullet. They kill deer just fine. I use my 14lb 30-06 off a bi pod over looking 735 yards of shooting.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Russell I shot quite a few deer with 308 match kings never hand any trouble with them. Why not use your target bullet. They kill deer just fine. I use my 14lb 30-06 off a bi pod over looking 735 yards of shooting.

I'm not sure if you're trolling for arguments or being serious.

There is an entire "Match King for Hunting" thread elsewhere on this forum. I don't wish to start a new one.

Personally, I will not use a Match King for hunting. That's my call, and it's my right to make that call.

Also, you assume that I'm using Match Kings as my "target bullet." I'm not. I'm using 168-grain Hornady A-Max bullets... the ORIGINAL run of them (I bought 1500 of them, which should last me a long time), not the revised design.

I haven't used Match Kings for years.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote