New
Find
Notify
Tools

superformance powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friend bought a pound of superformance powder to reload in his 22-250. He has some 50gr vmax and wants to make loads exactly like the loaded ammo hornady has out with the 50gr vmax. it has a MV of 4000fps. so anyways, he bought the powder, and we proceded to look up reloading data and found only 60gr and up bullets. Does anyone have a recipe for this weight bullet with superformance? the closest burning powder that was in my reloading book to this was w760. but it is not even close enough to "guess" what charge to throw. We even took a factory "superformance" round apart and guess what.... the powder in the case was visually identical to varget. the powder in the superformance can was a ball powder. i thought the reason it is called superformance was because it is the SAME powder used in the hornady ammo....
anyways, any reloading data on this bullet combo would be greatly appreciated!
ps. i looked on hodgdons website and only found bullets 60gr and up with this powder.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that you have a Chrony, you could start out with about 75% of the max for 60gr bullet loads and work up until you approximate the factory velocity. Is the 4000fps velocity actual velocity or is it something posted by the manufacturer?
Never try to identify a powder by it's appearance.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bkmastr:
My friend bought a pound of superformance powder to reload in his 22-250. He has some 50gr vmax and wants to make loads exactly like the loaded ammo hornady has out with the 50gr vmax. it has a MV of 4000fps. so anyways, he bought the powder, and we proceded to look up reloading data and found only 60gr and up bullets. Does anyone have a recipe for this weight bullet with superformance? the closest burning powder that was in my reloading book to this was w760. but it is not even close enough to "guess" what charge to throw. We even took a factory "superformance" round apart and guess what.... the powder in the case was visually identical to varget. the powder in the superformance can was a ball powder. i thought the reason it is called superformance was because it is the SAME powder used in the hornady ammo....
anyways, any reloading data on this bullet combo would be greatly appreciated!
ps. i looked on hodgdons website and only found bullets 60gr and up with this powder.

Hornady latest manual #8 has loading data with Superformance using 60gr,68gr and 75 gr also Hodgdon has data list 60gr and (70gr bullet on page 36 of their manual) using that powder.

I would call Hodgdon see what they say.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yessir wasbeeman, i sure do have a chrony, altho we have not ran any of the factory rounds thru it yet to see if they are indeed the 4000fps claimed. although i have heard people say they are really close 3990ish. I told my friend that if we get to 3800 with no sign of pressure, we may call that good. and i never plan to try to identify a powder by appearance! i know a guy who blew up a .243 doing that!
Tom, thanks for the info, wonder why they do not have load data for the 50 grainers? and i tried calling hodgdon and had to leave a message because "the office is not open" i'll probably call back on monday.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Superformance powder is not a one powder fits all product. the factory loads use different blends of this powder for different applications and the one theey market is limited as to what it can do and in what. The powder may be great in the 22-250 with 50 gr bullets but a flop with 60grs, or work well in the 308 but not in the 223.

From Hodgdons web site
quote:
Superformance delivers striking velocities in cartridges like the 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester and 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Velocities well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition! Because this propellant is tailored for specific applications, the number of cartridges and bullets is limited, but where it works, it really works!

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
Superformance powder is not a one powder fits all product. the factory loads use different blends of this powder for different applications and the one theey market is limited as to what it can do and in what. The powder may be great in the 22-250 with 50 gr bullets but a flop with 60grs, or work well in the 308 but not in the 223.

well what we are aiming to do is duplicate the superformance load that hornady produces... 50gr vmax and the superperformance powder... like i said before, we took a round apart and it looked nothing like the pound we bought! tomorrow we will chrony a few loads to see where we are at, velocity wise. shot some tonight but there wasn't enough light for the chrony to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say that Superformance isn't the powder used in the load you are trying to duplicate . Even though that load is in the Superformance line . H-380 used to be the powder of choice in the 22-250 , Have you tried it ?

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bromley:
I'd have to say that Superformance isn't the powder used in the load you are trying to duplicate . Even though that load is in the Superformance line . H-380 used to be the powder of choice in the 22-250 , Have you tried it ?

I was able to get ahold of hodgdon and this is what i was told "the powder used in hornady's factory loaded "superformance" IS superformance powder... it is just a different blend than what can be bought on the shelf". I have not tried h380 but thats what another friend shoots in his 22-250 and likes it. my manuals show h380 max charge at 37XXfps. my buddy is looking for a few hundred fps more velocity, so i think we are going to try the new CFE 223 powder. Hodgdon claims 39xxfps with 39.2grains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Hornady manual shows four powders that will yield 3900 FPS with their 50 Gr. bullet ,AA-2230 , H-335 and W-760/H-414 . Velocieties were from a 24" M 700 with a 1-14 twist . If your barrel is shorter than 24" , you won't be able to match their load anyway .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I'd be careful of reducing a listed powder charge for 60gr bullets to 75% for a 50gr bullet. I'd use the same or higher load but not above the max load listed. Chances are it won't burn well with the lighter bullet which is why it's not listed - it simply doesn't perform.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I'd be careful of reducing a listed powder charge for 60gr bullets to 75% for a 50gr bullet."

I am glad you caught that 303Guy, that could be a dangerous cocktail!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When all else fails or you are unsure;call the ballistian.It's toll free,it's his job + he'll give you the info you need.I do it frequently when working up a wildcat load.They're good guys + helpful.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The latest?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys,
been busy lately, haven't had much time to get on here! I never loaded anymore after the first 5 rounds. I would have to go get my note pad to remember what charge i used, but we did get all 5 rounds shot. problem is, we were too close to the chrony to get an accurate reading. one of them read around 3750. the rest were a couple hundred fps lol apparently this powder is so slow it wasn't burning it all and was causing the chrony to mess up with the powder blast.
NEW load.... 41.2gr h380 @ 3800ish fph. the 3800fps seems pretty high considering 42.0g calls for 36xxfps in my speer book. and its only a 22" bbl. we've ran them thru the chrony on several occasions with the same results.
And as far as the factory 50gr superformance loads being 4000fps as advertised... thats a bunch of horse crap. we ran several loads thru it just because i didn't believe it. we never had one reach into the 3700fps range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful,

It's real easy to get bad advice from the internet when you least expected it.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that Hornady has something like 16 different blends of superperformance powder for the factory ammo. It is not possible to duplicate at home.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote