New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cup&core vs Scirocco vs Partition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First, I would rather have a bullet that is a little soft over one that is too hard. Second, All of my guns shoot 2700-2800fps in the bullet/weight that I use. For the last 43 years I have been happy with cup&core bullets hunting the rather small whitetails here in Texas. Most are shot for meat and are shot behind the shoulder. Even though the polytips that I use now are frangible, little edible meat is lost. Over the last ten years or so I have begun hunting more and more pigs. Most of these are around 100lbs and shot for meat and shot in the head/neck. I am going hunting at a new place where the pigs and deer might be a lot more challenging. We will be spot and stalking and driving.The pigs might also run up to 300lbs. I am not planning on THS or running shots, but will probably take shoulder shots. I hope that I haven't overloaded you with info. My question is: which bullet would you choose 7mm 150 C&C, scirocco, or partition and 308 cal 165 C&C, scirocco, or partition? thanks, capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Scirroco's but since you're running them at modest velocities (I am not) they're not really necessary. i.e. at the speeds that you're running I don't thing you're going to notice that much difference between the three. I would shoot the one that is the most accurate in your rifle since shot placement is more important and if it so happens that you have more than one that shoots good, choose the more solidly constructed of the two. Smiler

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two diffrent bullet designs . I think one is more like a blistic tip and the other , the Partition is like the Swift a-Frame. one is a boat tail and one is not. They both will do the job,shot placement!!! . I use both Swift bullets ,same load and weight in bullet. I like a 140gr for a 7mm I wished Swift would make a scirocco in 140 gr.I shoot a 7 mm STW and a .300 WBY mag .

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the above! In both cases you should use the Hornady interbond. The 139 7MM and the 165 .308 will NOT suffer from bullet fragmentation. I've tested tham in water filled milk jugs AND in the field. The scirocco has been known to completly turn itself inside out when encountering heavy grizzle plate and bone.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At that speed, I'd just use the normal C and C bullets, if that makes you too nervous, try the plain old Interlocks from Hornady. Should do fine and they usually shoot well, at reasonable cost.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just love using the high tech bullets, but in this case have to agree with the above posters:
At these velocities on these animals bullets such as the Interbond, Accubond, Interlock will all do the job. For myself however, I use Partitions for everything smaller than a bison or moose in NA. You can get them for a good price from Shooters Pro Shop in Bend, Oregon. Partitions just plain get the job done day in and day out in every season.

If you decide to go that way, PM me and I'll send you some loads that have worked well for me in a variety of rifles over the last twenty five years (for your consideration).

Mr. Stuck in a Rut

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote