New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading data for Heavy bullets in .223
 Login/Join

<mregalia>
posted
My gun really likes the heavy 75 gr Hornady match bullet in .223. Does anyone have any load data for this bullet. I bought a few boxes of it and the gun loves the heavy bullet (1 in 8 twist). Now I want to start reloading with it.

Thanks,

Matt

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
24 grains of Varget with a CCI primer. Load and be happy. Great AR load,not too hot and accurate.

Posts: 1531 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
The 75 BTHP and the 75 A-Max (both mollied) are all I shoot in service rifle anymore. Same load for each, only the seating depth differs. To wit:

24 gr of AA2520, loaded on a 550 Dillon without benefit of all the benchrest prep. Win SR primers. Load the BTHP to 2.25" (mag length) and the A-Max to 2.425". This is correct for my Wilde chambered rifle, YMMV. Both go a few feet one side or the other of 2750 in a 20", 1-8" barrel.

Some will read this and be thrown into convulsions over 2520 powder and WW primers, but it's worked very well for me!

The Hornadys shoot scores every bit as high as more costly bullets, in my experience. Service rifle isn't as much an equipment game as a shooter's game, so it hasn't made any difference in my scores. Again, YMMV.

Best,

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 24.5 grs of Varget with 80 gr Sierras, so that should put you close...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi mregalia:

I'm relatively new to heavy-bullet loading, but started with a Savage 112 BVSS in .223 last fall. It's been too cold to chrony any of these loads, but these all shot 1/2" or less at 100-yds. when I was shooting 5-shot groups with a variety of loads. All in LC cases, neck turned, trimmed to 1.745", flash hole deburred, etc., with CCI 400 primers.

68-gr. Hornady Match BTHP - 26.0 Varget, 26.5 BL-C(2), 26.0 W748, 23.0 H322

75-gr. Hornday A-Max - 25.0 Varget, 26.0 BL-C(2), 22.0 H322

Shot a couple of groups with 69-gr. Sierra Match BTHPs and 26.0 Varget, but the temps were down to about 10 above and the groups were starting to grow a little as my hands and ears got colder!

I've got a couple hundred rounds loaded, all in 5-shot increments of different powder weights and types, with the Sierra 69s, Hornady 68s, the A-Max's and also the 60-gr. V-Max which this gun apparently will shoot into one-hole groups with BL-C(2). It's gotta warm up sometime!

Keep us posted on how you do. Enjoy!

Posts: 42 | Location: Lyndon, VT | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot them over 25.0 grs (max load) of RL-15 in my HBAR....Now I use 69 and 80 gr SMK's

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Hornady 75s in my Savage M12 FLVSS and they go great. At a thousand yards the difference in elevation between the A-max and HPBT match is approximatly 1 1/4 minutes. The last lot of A-max bullets I bought from lock,stock & barrel at about $90 per thousand.

The loads I use are a case full (~25 gr.)of VV N140 or 26 gr. of Vectan SP7; both give just under 3000 fps. The only problem with these loads I have found is that at distances up to 600 yards the shot dispersion is so small it makes it hard for the target marker as he is having to put patches on top of patches and the spotter disk gets repeatedly hit.

It also helps that I use the Lee collet die set, run out on these loooong bullets is just .0004"!

The load of a "casefull of N140" was recommended in PS some time ago and works with bullets 69 gr. and up perfectly.

For short range (50 to 200 yard) practice I use the NEI .224-71GC. 17 gr. of N120 gives .6 moa at 2400 fps.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
<mregalia>
posted
I am shooting a Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter with 24 inch bull barrel (1 in 8 twist). I have not tried the 69 gr Sierra yet. The 75's just shot soooo nice [Smile]

Matt