New
Find
Notify
Tools

MEC Marksman Press?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new MEC Marksman press on the way from Brownells.

I currently use a Forster Co-ax. But I'm a little un-inpressed with it of late.

You can't really load anything with it using standard length (30-06) ammo using something like an ultra-seater die or most of the Hornady dies because they are too long and bump the handle. My recent aquisition of a set of .458 Lott dies pushed me over the edge in search of something better.

Enter the new MEC press. Mayville Engineering Company has made outstanding shotshell loaders for decades. 100% US made too.

In any case I found it interesting and the design has several design features that impress me relative to the advantages that attracted me to the Coax in the first place such as a floating shell holder (as opposed to floating dies in th coax) Accomplishes the same thing in a different way.

Was wondering if any of you have tried this new press yet and your impressions?

There are a couple of nice reviews of the new MEC press on Youtube and the few that I've seen show the MEC beats the Coax in terms of runout... We are talking .0005 here. But still.

Might be selling my coax in the near future. We'll see.

Also, any of you use lock-n-load die bushings on your press? Any downsides?

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
single stage Looks like a really strong press.
I use the lock n load bushings on a Hornady AP. Some die sets will be a little short. With the lee dies I take the locking ring and turn it over and Remove the o ring

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been using the RCBS Ammomaster press for so many years, loading everything on it except the 700 NitroExpress.

Works absolutely great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68669 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good odds on MEC knowing how to build a press properly. I understand your problem with the Co-ax. Could talk to Forster and see if they have a handle you can retrofit for the long dies. After all, they sell those dies themselves. The coax won`t handle my 450-400 either, too big a rim for it.
I like the idea of the RCBS Summit press as well.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
Pretty good odds on MEC knowing how to build a press properly. I understand your problem with the Co-ax. Could talk to Forster and see if they have a handle you can retrofit for the long dies. After all, they sell those dies themselves. The coax won`t handle my 450-400 either, too big a rim for it.
I like the idea of the RCBS Summit press as well.

You can buy a shelplate adaptor for the Coax press which will allow you to use any brand shellholder on the market--it replaces the universal shell holders that come with the press. Its a little pain in the butt to use because you have to use a hex wrench to insert/replace the shellholders...but it will hold anything...RCBS, Lyman, Lee etc.