Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

325 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone out there load for the 325 Winchester Short Magnum? I bought a Kimber Montana in that caliber and I am very disappointed in the performance using factory loads. If there is any salvation for that gun, I think it going to have to be through fine-tuning handloads.
I reload for several magnum and non-magnum calibers but have never loaded any WSM rounds. Is there any benefit with this short, bottleneck
case to going with a 3rd, neck-sizing die, or am I ok with just my standard two die set?
Any advice (short of using the Kimber as an anchor or doorstop) is welcomed.

Posts: 4 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, for whaever reason my 325 WSM Montana didn't start shooting well until after I'd shot 150 or so rounds through it. I don't know if the scope mounts and/or bedding needed to get settled, if I was using bad bench technique or what. But at first I was beginning to wonder if my 325 was going to shoot anywhere near as well as my other Kimbers.
Finally it started shooting well with Winchester 200gr Accutips (or whatever they call their version of the Accubond). After that I worked up a few handloads that worked well too:

I've been using the IMR-4831, 200gr TSX loads for hunting.
I worked up my loads based on case expansion and velocity so they might be too warm for some rifles and may exceed some of the new load data available. If nothing else the factory load still shoots darn good.

Don't get up on it, it's gonna shoot.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight DJ. I have been befuddled by the performance of the 325 Montana and I have just now changed the scope to assure that is not the problem. The groups on your targets are great, and that gives me hope for the gun. Heck, maybe it just needs a good breaking in.

I will try some of those 200 grain Accubonds. Of all the factory stuff I've shot so far the 220 grain Powerpoints have performed the best.
GT

Posts: 4 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goattracker,

My .325 WSM shoots 200 grain Nosler Partitions into 0.5" groups (64.5 grains H4350). I get similar results with 65 grains of 760 and 200 grain Swift A-Frames, 64 grains Big Game and Nosler 200 grain Partitions, 59 grains of Big Game and 200 grain Nosler AccuBonds, 68 grains of N560 and Barnes 200 grain TSX and with 59 grains of H100V and Barnes 200 grain TSX. I get very nice sub-MOA groups with 64.5 grains of RL19 and 220 grain Sierra Game Kings and with 67 grains of MagPro and 220 grain Swift A-Frames. The rifle is easy to load for and seems to be a consistent in shooter. It is one of the last Model 70s off the off the old Winchester line. The fit and finish were terrible and the bore was rough. However, with range time the bore has polished up nicely and turned into a fine shooter.

Posts: 61 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 30 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks DrMike. Your experience is encouraging, and I'll try some of those 325 WSM recipes that have worked well for you.
GT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 325 WSM in a Browning A-bolt. During the break-in, I found a reference to something called the Creighton Audett method of load development. It works well and will lead you to an easier solution to an accurate load. I have examples of 5 shot groups under 3" at 300 yds. Search the forum for this and read the thread; it will help.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunted with my bud this weekend who has a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM. Friday afternoon was 'show of your rig and shooting to confirm zero' day. My friend shoots Winchester Supreme ammo with the coated, red-tipped Accubonds.

I didn't check to see what weight, he said it was all they had when he bought the rifle this summer, so he bought all 6 boxes they had. It throws them into one hole at 100, and grouped around 2" (for him) at 200. I could shoot the thing into an inch all day at 200. So.....if his rig is any indication it should shoot for you. He did say it took about 30 rounds to 'settle in' which happens to be my experience for the coated Winchester ammo in general.

Maybe worth a try with the Win Supreme stuff.

Good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you guys know the respective case volumes (water or powder) of the .325 WSM vs. the 8x68S vs. 8mm Rem Mag???

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote