New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .416 Rigby in a Lee press
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
My only press is the one out of the Lee Anniversary kit, will it be big enough to handle the .416 Rigby?

Bakes

Posts: 8056 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

I am not familiar with the press in question, but if it will load 270s it will do 416 Rigbys.

However if the press opening is a bit small, it can be a bit fiddly seating bullets with long calibres like 375 H&H, 416 Rigby etc, that also have thick bullets.

What will happen is that when the ram is down and a case is in the shell holder, the distance between the case mouth and bottom of the seating die might be a bit small.

My RCBS press has this problem but I seat bullets using Lymans press because it is a bit easier than using the RCBS.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike
At the moment I'm flat out scraping the money together to build this rifle, the last thing I need is having to buy a new press.
Again thanks again for the help.

Bakes

Posts: 8056 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes.

Yes you can use your Lee press. I have loaded the Rigby with it, however I wish I would have a little more space there, but it works.

Magnar

Posts: 172 | Location: Hadeland, NORWAY | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks Magnar.

Bakes

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load my 470 NE in a RCBS Rockchucker. A little creative dremel work first. Then, unsrew die all the way out; insert case, lift up partway, insert bullet. Screw die down over shell and bullet. Seat bullet. Unscrew die all the way and wiggle loaded cartridge out. Very simple [Smile]

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote