Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How do I figure out pressures?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

... I've no doubt that you have had good success with the PRE method you recomended.

Hey HogWild, Glad to see you join the discussion. In fact, I'm hopeful you and CDH can convince me of how good the HSGSs actually are.

Quote:

A guy that posts over on 24hourcampfire has done a lot of work with strain gauge measurements. (See his website here: OK Shooter ) He has ran them side by side with piezo systems and has verified their accuracy. I've no reason to doubt him.

The problem I have with OKShooter goes back many years to another Board that no longer exists - "Shooter's". He was the first person I knew to obtain a M43 and I was as interested as anyone could be to hear how well it worked.

I even attempted to run some Comparison Testing with him by email to see if in fact the HSGS would be as useful to the average home user as the PRE Method. We worked on it for about 9 months and never could get data that made any sense. I eventually figured out what was going on by accident by reading one of his other posts on "Shooter's".

He was using a Neck Sizing Die on the cases in the Test. Due to this, the Pressure Ring was never "reformed" so the information provided through the PRE Measurement was indeed erronious.

But, the thing that separated us totally was he used to post 100,000psi Loads on "Shooter's" and explain how they were SAFE in "his" rifle. If you do not see how this could get the Beginners into trouble, then I really doubt we will be able to discuss much at all.

So, if you get good info from him, it would really surprise me, but I wish you the best.

---

Hey HogWild, I would appreciate it if both you and CDH give me enough insight to convince me that the HSGSs are useful for the average reloader.

Hey CDH, I'll gladly accept that you entered threads concerning this before that I should have seen. I just don't remember them.

As I think back, I can't remember anyone in the past posting on this Board with enough common sense, technical background or courtesy to hold up the "Pro - HSGS" side of the discussion to the point that they could convince me of their merit. Apparently CDH's posts (when I viewed those threads) were lost in the clutter of half-truths and outright fabrications of some of the other posters. If I'd focused on them then, perhaps we would be in agreement now about the usefulness of a HSGS.

It indeed would be nice to be able to recommend another Pressure Detection Method which is almost as good as the very best of all times - the PRE Method.

---

So, HogWild and CDH, (and anyone with a bit of common sense, technical background and the ability to discuss without arguing) help me out here. Let's say there are 5 folks(Bob, Dan, Ron, Steve, Wanda) who hunt and shoot together that are interested in purchasing a HSGS that they can all use. They want the very best and each commit $750 ($3750 total) toward getting an Oehler M43 and a fine Laptop to make it run.

The equipment arrives and they each take a Strain Gauge and go home to do their individual Set-Up and Chamber measurements. To simplify matters, they all have 26" barrel 30-06 rifles of different makes. They have read all the literature and are convinced the HSGS is the best thing going. And they buy 5 boxes of Norma 30-06 cartridges, from the same Lot.

Now a few nice days show up and one at a time they head for the Range with all the gear. Only takes an hour or so to get it all set up and the user is ready to "Calibrate" the M43 and begin shooting. Each of them adjusts the input of the HSGS for the Chamber Dimensions they got "as close as they could" and shoot 10 shots each and "Average" the results. Then they get a Meeting together of the "HSGS Club", compare notes and find that:

Dan had lower Pressure and higher Velocity than Bob.

Ron had higher Pressure and higher Velocity than Bob.

Steve had higher Pressure and lower Velocity than Bob.

Wanda had lower Pressure and lower Velocity than Bob.

Bob: 48,700 psi and 3043 fps

Dan: 46,900 psi and 3151 fps

Ron: 49,900 psi and 3128 fps

Steve: 50,700 psi and 2930 fps

Wanda: 47,500 psi and 2962 fps

Now, what I don't understand is:

1. How any of the above Loads "Calibrated" the M43?

2. Is any of the data accurate?

3. How can each of them use the above data to help develop their Loads?

---

Edited garbled syntax created by pasting from Word.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, any system that is accurate is calibrated. That's the definition of accurate. So if your PRE system is calibrated, why don't you share with us the PSI numbers some of your favorite loads are producing?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tested the system on barrels with a 1.2" OD at the chamber (common) and .9" OD (8mm Mauser). Of course, on the smaller OD barrels, you get more microstrains for the same pressure.

Since I didn't design the system, I don't know exactly what they chose for the bridge amplifier gain. Whatever it is, it is completely determined by one met film resistor, external to the chip, which makes it stable to 50 ppm/degree C or so. The software "knows" the gain, the gage factor, the bridge voltage, etc., and translates it all into PSI.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well your right, Im trying rebarrel a Garand. The problem is that the opperating rod will most likely break or cause the internals to break before I start seeing any pressure signs from the brass. Thats why Im trying to get a heads up look at the pressures to see if my project will even work.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

forgive my guessing but are you trying to rebarrel a M-1 Garand?.....if the answer is yes then just do it and start reloading the new barrel's chamber with minimum reloads and "up" the powder a little at a time until the mechanism is functioning correctly and consistantly.....assuming that you not exceed the published maximum loads.

Hey Scott, For what it is worth, vapodog has given you the best answer in the bunch. No need to buy anything at all if you have Load Manuals from a Bullet and Powder maker.

Semi-autos go by a slightly different set of tricks than other rifles. No need to think it is complicated or that you will over-stress anything. Just do as vapodog suggested.

Heck, you don't even need the very best Pressure Detection Method of ALL TIME - the good old Pressure Ring Expansion(PRE) as measured with a set of 0.0001" capable micrometers.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton,

I agree with your regarding S/N ratio and repeatability. Sensitivity related to measured versus actual, too low of a sensitivity and your measured value may be far from the REAL or ACTUAL value. What doesn 500 microstrains equate to in psi?

Also, have you tested pressure on barrels of significantly different tenon diameter, say ultra light hunter and varmint bull barrels? Did you see a difference in microstrains recorded?

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Not really. There was a pressure- predicting slide-rule device sold as part of the Powley Computer set once upon a time. But, it was only good with IMR powders and only gave rough approximations of actual pressures. The only way to know pressures for sure is with a gun that has been set up to actually measure pressures, and since all guns are individuals, pressures produced by a certain combination of brass, powder, bullets and primers in one rifle will give different pressures in the next one. So, basically, the answer to your question is NO!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were trying to figure loads for a 6.5mm-06 or 280 pressures to match those of military 30-06 ammo how might I go about doing so? Is there any sort of chart or distribution to look at? Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are certain indications in the fired brass.
If your primers are cratering (a raised ring around the firing pin dent) it could be exessive pressure. It could also be that your firing pin is too small for the hole it protrudes from. If the primer is not completely flattened out, the cause is likely the latter.
If there is case head expansion of even as little as .005" that would be exessive pressure. A good dial or digital caliper can tell you that if you remember to measure the case head BEFORE you shoot and then after. Once I have found an accurate barrel, I'd like it to last 5 or 10 thousand rounds rather than burn out in 1000.
If the primer pocket no longer holds the primer in, then you have really overdone it. Likewise, if your extractor is making bright burnnished marks on the case head.
Personally, I will accept some flattening of the primer but any load that completely flattens the primer is too hot for me. I'm not one who thinks that an extra 100fps is the be all and end all of handloading. I spend a lot of time loking for the best accuracy not bullet speed. That is probably why I own only one belted mnag (a 375 H&H in Ruger #1). It IS fun to shoot and is so damned beautiful . . .; besides, its a great way to gather a crowd at the range.
I have seldom found the most accurate load to be at the limits of pressure. Once I have found an accrute barrel, I'd like it to last a few thousand rounds instead of burning out in a 1000 or less.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have an original, unused Powley PMax pressure guage that I'd be willing to sell/trade. That would be able to answer your question for you, for that particular firearm.

Mark

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

impossible to Calibrate to a known Standard. Must admit though, it is quite funny to watch you all try.

You're the one providing the entertainment... unlike PRE, strain gage pressure systems are easily calibrated, using published NIST procedures, available on their website.

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/index.htm

Items 1.9 and 3.2 are the new ones, folks.

1. Standard list of Hot Core fabrications, unsupported by any known facts or credible references, all posted by Hot Core for everyone to see---
1.1. Mounting a strain gage on a rifle will spoil the accuracy.
1.2. You need a CMM to measure the ID and OD of a chamber.
1.3. Mounting a strain gage will rust your rifle.
1.4. Strain gage systems cannot be calibrated, and the results are just a guess.
1.5. PRE is completely repeatable and reliable.
1.6. PRE is calibrated.
1.7. Claims to have 20 years of experience with strain gages.
1.8. Claims that strain gages don�t work outside a laboratory.
1.9 Quotes Ken Waters, the �father� of PRE to support his claims, when, in fact, Waters contradicts Hot Core.

2. Standard list of Hot Core self-contradictions�
2.1. Claims that you can, and that you cannot use factory ammunition as a maximum pressure reference.
2.2. Claims that you need SAAMI standard ammunition to calibrate a strain gage, but that you don�t need it to calibrate PRE.
2.3. Claims that you cannot use chamber dimensions to calibrate a strain gage, but that you can use brass dimensions to calibrate PRE.
2.4. Claims that he gets four significant digits measuring brass with a micrometer, but the rest of us can�t get three when measuring a chamber.

3. Hot Core logical fallacies/half truths--
3.1 Hot Core can teach anyone to use a micrometer in five minutes, and it is a precise instrument. Since it is a precision instrument, and easy to use, it follows that the dimensions of a brass casing accurately and precisely reflect the pressure of a load.
3.2 Refuses/fails to provide any credible references or experimental data to support his assertions.

4. Most childish Hot Core behavior�
4.1. Resorts to name calling when things aren�t going his way.
4.2 Issues childish insults rather than presenting facts.

5. Actual experiment says�
5.1. Strain gage systems are very repeatable, and the one I have tested is on a par with equipment currently in use by people who write reloading books. Two cartridges subjected to the same peak pressure give you very close to the same peak reading, routinely.
5.2. Strain gage systems are easily calibrated, and they routinely produce peak pressure readings that correspond with the expected pressures of commercial ammunition.
5.3. PRE and CHE are very non-repeatable. Two cases subjected to the same pressure produce the same dimension only if you are very lucky.
5.4. Details of how to replicate my experiment have been posted, for anyone who cares to try it. You can love it, or you can hate it. The data frankly don�t give a damn.

6. Ken Waters actually said�
6.1. PRE is inferior to strain gages and to CUP.
6.2. PRE is a relative system only. (Relative system = not calibrated.)
6.3. Speaking of PRE, �...no such system of judging pressures can reveal the actual pressure in pounds per square inch or copper units of pressure.�
6.4. PRE is not entitled to use the term �reading�, because that would imply a precision that isn�t there. CUP and strain gages are entitled to use the term.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

from DJpaintles, I'm at Lb404's...I've enjoyed the back and forth debate here and hope that no feelings have been hurt........DJ

Hey DJ, No "Purple Hearts" received from "friendly fire".

If you would either think back, or take a few minutes to read "my" posts in this thread, I've asked questions to people who:

1. I respect their opinion and really want to know what has them convinced a HSGS is worth having.
2. I do not know and am willing to see if they can discuss the issue with the chance they can teach me something about the HSGS(fiascos) that I don't know.

3. Likewise, I believe I've managed to avoid responding to or acknowledging input from people who simply want to argue or go into nonsensical childish rants.

---

Now, if you(DJ) can give me some input that explains what I was trying to ask, I am interested - seriously.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dutch, I've explained the PRE and CHE Methods over and over.

Offered to send folks a File all about how " I " do it. And quite a few took me up on it. Most had some minor questions, but it was primarily sharing and discussing results on the "very best Pressure Indication Method in existance".

I just notice you never were interested enough to ask for it, but you were in the Threads where I've discussed how to use it before. So, there is really no need for me to repeat it to you again. If you are really interested, do a search.

As I look at your list, some of those questions have been answered in the past. And some have no relation at all to doing a PRE Comparison Measurement, which means you either weren't paying attention or didn't attempt to understand. Most of them your questions just aren't relevant to the way the PRE/CHE Methods work.

Not interested in playing the game with you, since your desire for answers is not sincere.

I realize it is difficult for you all to justify tossing a lot of money out the window on equipment which can be very misleading and impossible to Calibrate to a known Standard. Must admit though, it is quite funny to watch you all try.

HSGS - Reloaders Pyrite (aka Fool's Gold)

one of us
posted Hide Post

One point is clear; when the case head starts to expand
you are pushing the brass into yield. That is the time to
think over what you are doing.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Well, you could glue a Pressure trace strain gauge to your gun. That setup would run you about $300, if you have the computer.

Second best is to use Quickload interior ballistics software (www.neconos.com), in combination with a chronograph. The Powley calculator is also useful, but much less versatile. However, it is free for the download at: http://www.stickledown.co.uk/

Third best is to use manuals that list load pressures, in combination with a chronograph.

Under field conditions, a chronograph is a pretty darn useful pressure gauge. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Unfortunatly "reading" the classic "pressure signs" would not work well in your case as damage to the "op rod" would probably occur before these signs became aparent.

Not necessarily. It is NOT PEAK PRESSURE that damages M1 rifles, it is GAS PORT PRESSURE. If one uses a powder that is fast enough to produce the lower gas port pressures that the M1 needs to avoid op-rod damage, it is quite possible to load ammo hot enough with this powder to show considerable pressure signs on the case, and still have the pressure drop to where the op-rod will not be bent by the time the bullet passes the gas port. The M1 is an extremely strong rifle, except for its' "Achilles heel" of a long, convoluted operating rod. The M14, with its short, straight-line gas system, does not suffer from this problem - this is one of the major weaknesses that was designed out when the M1 evloved into the the M14. The M1's other major problem was cured when the 8-round en-bloc clip was replaced by a detachable 20-round box magazine!

(Interestingly, Garand's early prototype M1's had 20-round detachable box magazines. The Army made him eliminate these, because "magazine interferes with the standard manual of arms, and necessitates a change in the standard prone firing position". So it appears that when the M1 was first being designed, the Army was looking for a parade ground/rifle-range rifle, rather than a combat weapon. Consequently, during WWII, our troops had to reload after 8 shots instead of having 20 rounds available in the magazine. )

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, you have never EXPLAINED it at all. You have TOLD some of the things you do, and you have ASSERTED that it works. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I should know better than to wade into this again, but I guess I am too stubborn!

Denton, HC IS calibrating to a 'known' standard...factory ammo. We all KNOW how accurate that is. Of course, ANY pressure measurement system can be thus calibrated, even the hated HSGS! At worst, the HSGS is a differential measurement, comparing to factory ammo. At best, PRE is the same, with much less sensitivity.

HC, I hate to break it to you, but the 'holy grails' of measurement accuracy are SENSITIVITY and REPEATABILITY! Once a system is set up which gives the same result for the same input, as well as registers measureable changes at suitably small changes in input, you have a good system.

PRE and CHE fail on both counts. I am not saying they are not useful, but they are not the BEST! Many systems have better sensitivity AND better repeatability. Some of them are cheap enough to be usable by the average handloader for less $$ than a new rifle. But don't take my word for it, you are the PRE master. Take 10 pieces of factory ammo and do your CHE measurements. Now reload these 10 pieces 5 times, measureing as you go. Post the results for all of us to analyze. Even more interesting would be to do it with an instrumented rifle, therefore being able to directly compare the 2 results measuring the same event!

HC, I think you just don't trust electronics. No problem there, I am a EE, and I often feel the same. But, just say so if that is how you feel...I swear some of the mechanical engineers I work with would rather they cranked their cars with a handle through the radiatior instead of a battery and starter motor! At least they would then 'understand' how the dang thing worked!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton,

I caution you to not mistake repeatability (precision) for accuracy (actual value). I have no doubt that the Strain gage will repeat very well (is very precise), but you have not calibrated the rifle barrel & strain gage system to a series of ACTUAL KNOWN pressures so you do not know the ACTUAL relationship between microstrains and psi.

Remember the definition of Accuracy:

Quote:

The ability of a measurement to match the actual value of the quantity being measured

Remember the definition of Precision (repeatibility):

Quote:

The ability of a measurement to be consistently reproduced

Strain gages are FAR more precise than PRE and I could be lead to believe that your strain gage system is precise (repeatable) to say somwhere between 300 to 600 psi for the vast majority of rifles. As you relatively understand the relationship between microstrains and psi that is.

The accuracy is not there however, as you ONLY have relative calibration, not actual calibration.

Like I said earlier there is a very good reason that the reloading companies give themselves an approxiamtely 5% margin of error with regard to pressure. They don't always do this, but more often than not, their pressure/velocity data shows it.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is obvious that you clearly do understand the difference between precision and accuracy. So do I. And you are correct in saying that the strain gage is much more precise than PRE... the actual ratio being about an order of magnitude.

What we haven't agreed on yet is the concept of calibration.

The kindergarten version of calibration is that you compare to an artifact that has a known value of the units you are interested in.

The one and only place you can still do that with primary standards is if you are measuring mass. That is the only primary standard which NIST still keeps in "native" units. ALL OTHER CALIBRATIONS COME BY TRANSLATION FROM OTHER UNITS, EVEN THE OTHER SIX FUNDAMENTAL QUANTITIES OF PHYSICS.

If Y = f(x), and you know x, and f, then you know Y, and can calibrate Y in terms of x. That is the standard NIST procedure, and that is what you do with a strain gage... exactly what NIST prescribes for measuring devices in non-native units.... which is everything but mass.

There are no primary NIST standards for pressure.

There are no primary NIST standards for speed.

There are no primary NIST standards for acceleration.

These are all derived units. You calibrate all of them in terms of other units, Y = f(x1, x2,...xn, k1, k2...kn). If Y is pressure, and I can express pressure as f(microstrains, chamber dimensions, properties of steel, gage factor, bridge resistors, amplifier gain, etc.), and if I can get all the input variables (and I can), I know the output variable to the same accuracy (calibration) as I know the input variables. That is what NIST prescribes, and that is what is done with a strain gage system.

If you follow the procedure, NIST and I think you have an absolute calibration. We could be wrong, though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Code:
In many cases I doubt it is even that good.  

It is easily that good.

Thought experiment: You want to calibrate a chronograph. There is no such thing as an FPS standard. You know the distance between the photocells to within .1%, and you know time of flight between them to 10 PPM. How accurately do you know FPS? For all practical purposes, to within .1%.

Same argument applies to the strain gage system. Pressure can be expressed as a function of microstrains, chamber dimensions, gage factor, applied voltage, and amplifier gain. All those input variables are known to better than .5%. You easily know the output variable to a percent or two, and 1,000 PSI is a couple of percent.

SD of the random error for the strain gage system has been measured at 667 PSI. Random error for the PRE method has been measured at 6,800 PSI.

All taken together, 1,000 PSI is a reasonable statement of the strain gage's absolute accuracy. Accuracy = calibration.

What is the absolute accuracy of the piezo system? Little if any better than that.