Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seating depth on .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
For those of you who have done some experimenting, what do you recommend as the overall cartridge length on a CZ 550 Magnum in 416 Rigby for any given bullet?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is that it is best to use the crimping cannelure and go with whatever col. that gives you. No crimp = no bullet hold. No bullet hold = no knowledge of whether the bullets in the mag. will slide in the case, or not.

Best Regards Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
On a heavy recoil rifle I tend to use the crimping groove and not think to much about it already. But there are some bullets (I think) that do not have a crimping groove. I haven't tried to measure the bullet seating depth to accommodate the lands (is there freebore on a CZ in 416 Rigby?)and wondered if anyone had done that.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use the cannelure as my basis. Don't want to shoot the damn thing off the bench anyway. As long as I'm getting 4" groups at 200 yds offhand, figure I'm doing okay.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I don't have the specific OAL here in the office, but with 400gr Swifts I seat to the center of the cannelure AND CRIMP. My thouhgts are witha heaey recoling rifle you are asking for trouble if you do not crimp. I had Lee preision build me a custom factory crimp die for 25 bucks and it works GREAT. The rifel, a Ruger holds 1/2" groups. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Anything I load, over .300 Winchester, gets crimped in the groove (if there is one).

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote