New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many use the Lyman 310 tool?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It looks like it would be great for load development at the range. How many own the 310 tool? what are your likes and dislikes about it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded lots of ammo with one years ago. I put mine away when I got my first press. Just to slow can't full length resize. It is just easier to use press and if you have a turret press it is a lot easier. I have three press set up one 7 hole turret that I use all the time the other two are there just for odd jobs once or twice a year.

Haven't even thought about my 310 in a long time until I read your post.

I guess it would work at the range no reason not to. But then my range is out the back door.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I use my 310 all the time, for everything except full-length resizing, which I try to avoid doing as much as possible. The thing is great for re-priming while sitting in the living room in the evening, and I have found that the ammo made seating bullets with the 310 is just as accurate as a lot of stuff with bullets seated with a press. At least when shot in a sporter rather than a target rifle..... I often buy 310 dies whenever I find them, and have 3 sets of 310 handles. I have even used 310 dies in a press with a 7/8-14 bushing!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee hand press for just that use. On the plus side it uses standard dies and can full length resize. On the minus it is bigger.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and use a number of the old hand tools.

The Ideal (now Lyman) as well as the Bond and Newton (later Pak Tool) have the disadvantage of requiring a lot of die changes with a slow thread that had you screwing around all night changing dies.

Now I use several at the range already set up to prime and to neck size and to seat bullets. I really like the Ideal priming chamber.

Using the Ideal Quick Reference chart has given me insights into die switching when I do not have the specific die set.

The nutcrackers are not a good choice if you do not really enjoy loading, but load only as an expedient to save money.

Though I have Star and Dillon and RCBS and Lee and Jordan and Hall and Potter progressive presses, I see no reason for the press to have all the fun. I'm no longer in that much hurry.

Cheers from Darkest California,

Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote