THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    405grs lead FN with gascheck and black powder load?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

405grs lead FN with gascheck and black powder load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
I have a question.
A friend is owning a Sharps rifle, chambered for the .45-120. He also have a lot of 405grs lead bullets with gascheck. Now, he don´t know, is it is a problem to load this bullets with a black powder charge. I´m loading only NC. I have no permit to buy BP..... And so I haven´t the experience with this.

Thanks,

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
It's not a problem,but he may not get the results he wants.
His charge of FFG or Cartridge black powder would be 120 grains,hence the caliber of the round.
I would suggest he get onto the internet and read all he can about "Black Powder Metallic Cartridge loading"
Loading these cartridges in not like loading Smokeless Powder.
His other options,depending on who made his rifle and how strong it is is to use a "Cowboy Load" using a pistol powder or a synthetic Black Powder equivalent.
It would fill up many pages here to give you the data.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Martin,
Your friend can try the BPCR forum at Cast Boolits. It is a black powder only forum so he can get recommendations there.

For smokeless Accurate 5744 had data listed for those large black power rounds. SR4759 can be used in a similar manner. However SR4759 data is not as easily found.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the data I use in my 45-120 H&R.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
BBF,

Just tell him to fill the case to slightly higher than the base of the bullet so the powder is compressed when he seats the bullet. You just don't want any airspace in the case when loading real blackpowder.

Those bullets will fire, but his accuracy will be horrible. Also with smokeless lube on the bullets instead of blackpowder lube, he will have issues with powder fouling in his barrel.

For real blackpowder he needs soft cast bullets sized to his barrel and lubed with a true blackpowder lube. Depending on his barrel length, and how much lube that bullet carries, he may still need a "grease cookie" sitting between the base of the bullet and the powder charge. Use a card wad between the powder and grease cookie.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not a problem with BP; you won't be able to get 120 grains in modern cases without compressing it. Don't need gas checked bullets either, make sure your bullets are soft, as stated above. .001 larger than groove diameter is good. That will prevent gas cutting. Grease cookie? I have used them to keep the fouling soft, but I now use ten precent (NO MORE than 10 percent) of the black powder charge, of a smokeless powder like 5744 or 4759. Do not compress duplex loads! That will keep your bore clean. Use a thin card wad like slowpoke said.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote