New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder similarities
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On another thread I noticed Deafdog ( IIRC ) to point out some similarities in powders. E.g. 2208 - 4350, 2213 - 4831 ..

Also I know? that Bofors powders are sold as Norma or RWS brands. I think that Vihtavuori and Herc ...Alliant still manufacture their powders themselves.

I am just curious: does anybody know on which ( few? ) locations of this planet powders are really made, and which brands and numbers might be the same?

I understand because of lot differences and specifications one should not easily accept any loading data, but it would shure help if one could get some brand cheaper or easier or in working up loads for elder or exotic calibers.

I think AA powders are made in CZ. But the extruded powders? And BR in their designation could mean Bofors Rifle?

Perhaps somebody could post her/his knowledge/estimates.

Good Shooting H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
aHunter,

This is the answer from one of teh boys here. He said he knows what he is talking about, but, most of the times I have my doubts!

Alliant makes their own powders, and sometimes they get them from Norma.

AA powders are made in both the Cz and Israel.

Hodgdon gets some powders from Australia, and some from ICI in the UK.

Winchester makes their own powders in the USA and Belgium.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67284 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting! But I always thought that Hodgdon used Olin powders, too? Just think of 296/H110, 231/HP38 or 760/H414?

Any truth in this or did they change their source sometime ago?

BTW, I�m an amateur, but I do think its really difficult to go from one manufacturer to the other with all this loading data around, small or big case, high or lower pressures ...Just boggles my mind!

Good Shooting! H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no idea whether this is true or not.

If you think about it, ALL powders CAN be used for all cartridges, big or small. But only a few powders will give you optimum results.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67284 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi A-hunter
From the ADI powders guide

"ADI produces AR2213SC for the north American reloading market...AR2213SC is repackaged and distributed by Hodgdon Powder Co in the US under the brand name of "Hodgdon
H4831SC".ADI also produces AR2213H for Hodgdon being "Hodgdon H4831" in North America and Europe."

In this case I would reckon that all Hodgdon H4831 and H4831SC would come from Australia.

I think the other powders I referred to in the earlier post are ADI powder approximate equivalents(within 5%) for powders not readily available in Australia.

Hope that helps

Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au