Find
Notify
Tools

35 Remmy Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted
Just scored a 35 Rem carbine barrel for my Contender.

Looking to see if someone has a preference in the 200 gr bullets. I'm looking at the Sierra RN Pro Hunter, Horny RN and Rem SPCL. Not real interested in the Horny Flex-tip. Is the Rem 200 SPCL a 35 Rem specific bullet?

If you have a stick powder reccomendation, I'm interested in that also.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Since you are not limited by a magazine tube you can pretty much go with any bullet you want. The heavy constructed ones might not open correctly at 35Rem velocities.

In the Marlin my wife got from her dad we run 180gr FP in front of 4895 only thing she's shot with it was a small hog it worked fine. Have some 220s and 3031 but todate only paper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Yeah - I'm definately going to try the Speer 180 HotCor FP. I also have some Rem 150 PSPCLs on hand. I have Sierra and Hornady manuals and they both have ideal velocity windows for their bullets. (Suppose I should crack them open)

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady used to make a 180gr ssp (single shot pistol) bullet. I used to use them in my 760 carbine in 35 remington and they shot very well. I shot a small spiker in Vermont years ago with it and he dropped on the spot at about 125 yards. I don't know that they still make them but worth looking into. I don't recall offhand which powder I was using, but it may have been IMR 3031 or Accurate 2015br.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 200 gr Remington round nose works great at 35 rem velocities loaded down in my 35 Whelen.

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
I run a 200 Sierra RN out of my 14 inch Contender in 35 Rem. Not a problem. Knocks em hard and dead every time.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the Rem 200 SPCL a 35 Rem specific bullet?

Yes.

I suspect the others are made for faster cartridges, .35 Whelen, .35 mag, etc. A .35 caliber hole can kill anything but the Rem offers great accuracy and expands more consistantly than any other .35 cal. rifle bullets I've tried. Price is right too.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
In the Marlin my wife got from her dad we run 180gr FP in front of 4895 ...
I spent a whole lot of time Dragging Deer for three Elders (in my youth) who used the same combination. They used H4895, but IMR-4895 should work well too.

The 150gr Remingtons you mentioned are amazingly accurate in my 350RemMag and are something like 0.268" Off-the-Lands.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Thx for the input gents.

Think I will see if Hodgdon LVR powder is in stock locally. Looks like the ticket for the 35 Rem and a .30-30 I've been working with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 150gr Remingtons you mentioned are amazingly accurate in my 350RemMag and are something like 0.268" Off-the-Lands.

Best of luck to you.

Does Remington even offer the 150's for reloading anymore? I have some but haven't seen them for sale for years.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vip:
Does Remington even offer the 150's for reloading anymore? I have some but haven't seen them for sale for years.
I haven't seen any either. Quite some time ago, someone on this Board bought a Special Run of them, maybe 10k, just don't remember the exact amount. Then offered some of them for Sale here and they were bought up before I got any more.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vip:
quote:

Best of luck to you.

The 150s were discontinued about 3 or 4 years ago. Before ebay ditched bullets and brass, there was a brief glut of them and the Contender shooters gobbled them up.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote