New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic powdder dispensers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any position on the RCBS vs the Hornandy powder scale/dispenser on which one is better ?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was fascinated by these machines when the first came out and thought of buying one. But the fact is that if you are using a ball powder or a fine-grained stick powder, you can drop the charges with a good powder measure more accurately than these machines, and a whole lot faster.

If you are using a coarse stick powder, then you can drop the slightly undersized charge into a scale pan and dribble up to weight as fast as the older auto machines, and usually more accurately, to boot. The newer machines are said to have improved in speed, but they also use a finicky electronic scale, which is yet another "pit of dispair" in many circumstances.

I can't advise you between the two machines, but I can assure you that as a reloader with 45 years of experience and a general love of great reloading gadgets, I've found this genre of machine to be avoided.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS version and like it just fine. I use it for lower volume reloading - especially with the IMR stick powders. For pistol reloading and ball powders, I use a dispenser - and use the electronic scale on the RCBS to verify. I have heard good thinks about the Lyman also.

I used to pour short and use a dribbler, but this was more time consuming to me than the electronic scale.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I was fascinated by these machines when the first came out and thought of buying one. But the fact is that if you are using a ball powder or a fine-grained stick powder, you can drop the charges with a good powder measure more accurately than these machines, and a whole lot faster.

WinkStonecreek is correct. I haven't used my Lyman 1200 in 3 years. Frowner roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup me 3

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love both my Lyman 1200 and my PACT. The Lyman is easier to use than the PACT being it is a one piece deal but I like them both.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
i have a Dedicated Systems electronic machine which works quickly and very reliably. It dispenses charges accurate to 1/20th of a grain. That kind of accuracy in powder charge weights is not needed for most shooting, but it IS useful in extreme long range match shooting. One does have to learn how to manage it, though. The instructions which came with it are pretty much useless and caused a lot of distress among early owners of those machines.

I also have a very precise Neal Jones manual powder dispenser which I used in competitive BR shooting, and it is about as good for that purpose as can be found.

For hunting rounds I use a plain old Lee "Perfect" manual powder measure and it is plenty good for that use.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I use the Lyman 1200 dps3, I battle to fill the case and seat a bullet before the next charge is ready. More than accurate enough. I do a manual check every 10 or so charge just to keep the machine honest!

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady and have to disagree that they are not accurate. Every time I load I will check a thrown charge or two from the electronic dispenser and compare to an RCBS balance beam. They always match spot on.

They do speed up the loading process. I can do other tasks while a charge is being thrown by the electronic scale. So it saves me time. Also, I don't get a stiff neck or headache trying to trickle powder and read the balance beam with my aging eyes. old

Not sure how the Hornady compares to the RCBS but I am guessing they are both good units. The RCBS may have a few additional features the Hornady does not.

Just my two pennys worth.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johanv:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I use the Lyman 1200 dps3, I battle to fill the case and seat a bullet before the next charge is ready. More than accurate enough. I do a manual check every 10 or so charge just to keep the machine honest!

Cheers
Johan

When using a powder measure, typically the entire lot of cases is charged in one operation, then the bullets are seated in a separate operation. This takes much less total time than charging and] seating each round in sequence, regardless of the charging method. It also allows a visual double check of the charge in all of the cases which can be important in assuring that a case has not been improperly charged.

I have no quarrel with anyone who finds an auto dispenser useful, but I'm afraid that if I had one it would just be taking up space on my bench which could be devoted to more productive tools.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote