Find
Notify
Tools

harrells powder measures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking to throw powder and invest in a powder measure,

with the harrells gear what is the difference between the premium measure and the classic Culver?

any one got opinions on either?

looking to throw for Tac 20, .243, 7mm08, 30.06

i did post this question on another forum, it was pointed out the price was quite different, thanks!

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Harrell's Classic Culver and like it.
It gets the job done as well as any well made powder measure. I have not used any of the other Harrell measures, so I can't compare them.
One thing with all powder measures, and that is it is difficult throwing consistent charges with long stick powders like 4831.
The big advantage of the Harrell Culver measure is that it is repeatable. Keep track of the settings for each charge of powder, and you can go back to that setting and expect the same charge.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a product whose pricing demonstrates inverse elasticity, the price is part of the attraction. I would not expect any difference in the performance of the two units.

Actually, your first determination should be whether the powders you use are compatible with a powder measure, for the level of accuracy that you desire. If you have to adjust the charge by weight after dispensing, any measure will do.

With the more difficult powders, precision of a premium measure is generally determined by the user's technique and experience with the particular measure. In other words, don't expect the Harrell to be more consistent than another top-level measure. As already mentioned, its virtue is the repeatability of the setting with the Culver-design device. This style of measure is preferred by benchresters who reload and do load development at the range. They also tend to use easily-measured powders.

The electronic RCBS ChargeMaster Combo 1500 is generally preferred for dispensing exact charges of extruded or otherwise difficult powders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The classic is better looking. Functioning is the same. Capacity is the same.
I have the premium measure. It works very well.
The "secret" is developing a repeatable stroke. Same way every time. If a stroke dosen't feel right dump that charge. Practice your stroke several times every time you get out the measure.
This will technique will help any measure.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic product (the premium) from a wonderful company.

I rang the company spoke to a delightful lady (sounded like the wife of the owner) who knew her stuff. I ordered (from the UK) on a Tuesday, the product arrived on the Friday, my card was charged the next week.

With short grain powders (N133, H322 etc) it's as accurate as my +/- 0.1gr scale.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The "Premium Culver" measure is the less costly of the two. It has needle bearings. (2-120 grains.)

The "Classic Culver" is the top of the line at about $85 more. (2-120 grains) It has double roller bearings.

Harrell has three other measures - Benchrest Premium (6-60 grains), Custom 90 (6-90 grains), and Schuentzen/pistol (2-25 grains).

They are all "Culver" type measures.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
The "Classic Culver" is the top of the line at about $85 more. (2-120 grains) It has double roller bearings.

My understanding is that they all have the double bearings with the exception of the Custom 90, their econo model, that has the single bearing and lesser handle.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
The Harrell's are a great couple of guys. I first dealt with Lynwood about three years back when I ordered my Custom 90. I tried it for a few days, great meter! If memory serves it has 4 clicks between numbers, or about .15 grains per click. Where as the Premium has 6 clicks between numbers or .1 grain per click. I was so impressed with the Custom 90 I called Lynwood and asked if I could switch it for the Premium along with the extra cash. "Sure", he said. He had it in the mail, unpaid for, before I could even box up the 90 and the extra $ to send it back. I've never regretted spending that kind of cash for such great quality.

Something else which brings to mind why I bought a Culver meter w/ clicks. Their are two basic trains of thought, throw and weigh. I do both! Last week I was loading up some 9.3x62's w/ 286 gr Partitions and Ramshot Big Game; a ball type powder. It meters through my Harrell's like water. I had it set for 106.3 clicks or 65.9 grs. It throws this powder +/- .05 grains. I ran out of powder and bullets and bought a new pound and box of Noslers yesterday. Early this morning I simply dumped in the new lb of powder, same setting on the Harrell's, but it was throwing .2 grains lighter. What this proves is either 1)the different lot of powder was denser or because it was a fresh can and my other can, being only about 6 months older, had had a chance to loose some density to drying out as I opened and closed the can a dozen or more times. This becomes important when you find a load which gives you precisely what you want whether that be accuracy, speed, consistency or all the above. Maybe, one small change in the powder charge "volume" can reduce any or all three of the before mentioned attributes. I say volume because had I wanted to throw the same "weight" of powder this morning, I would have had to increase my meters volume by about .2 grains of weight.

Does this make sense? It can take a bit to get your mind wrapped around "volume" vs "weight".

And to make sure this is clear, I'm not knocking either weighing or throwing. I've this topic get heated before.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:My understanding is that they all have the double bearings with the exception of the Custom 90, their econo model, that has the single bearing and lesser handle.

I believe you are correct. I am still hopelessly mired in the 20th Century when Lynwood first brought out the needle bearing model.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
If you find better people to deal with I'd like to know who they are. I've bought several muzzle brakes from them in the last year and you can't pay for them before they are shipped. I tried to use a CC and Lynwood said "don't you worry none about that, you just send me a check when you get the invoice" It's amazing to be treated like somebody wants your return business.
There's a bunch of folks here on AR that still do business the old fashioned way. That's what keeps me coming back again and again. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim White:
If you find better people to deal with I'd like to know who they are. I've bought several muzzle brakes from them in the last year and you can't pay for them before they are shipped. I tried to use a CC and Lynwood said "don't you worry none about that, you just send me a check when you get the invoice" It's amazing to be treated like somebody wants your return business.
There's a bunch of folks here on AR that still do business the old fashioned way. Thay's what keeps me coming back again and again. Jim

Exactly!

I called Lynwood a couple of years ago, on a Saturday morning, to ask him a question about the barrel tuners he makes, and an hour later we were still talking. What a great guy, with a great intellect. At the end of the call, we were talking about the museum in Cody, Wyoming.. Big Grin

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alex.Y:
With the Harrell's gear, what is the difference between the Premium measure and the Classic Culver?

Anyone got opinions on either?

Here's one from the Sinclair catalog referring to the Harrell meters:

All of the measures throw with the same accuracy and repeatability...

Hope that's definitive enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim White:
There's a bunch of folks here on AR that still do business the old fashioned way. Thay's what keeps me coming back again and again. Jim

It's going to be a stark place when the Bergers, Harrels and their like are no longer with us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
I am still hopelessly mired in the 20th Century....

Ray

You're in a better place than the rest of us. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have them and recommend the Premium.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote