Find
Notify
Tools

Best powders for AR type rifles.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted
I have a new Armalite M15TN (20"target/varmint 1-8 twist)on the way and need all the help I can get.

I would especially like to now some of the cleanest burning powders also.

While ya'll are at give me a few of factory loads you would try first.

Thanks In advance
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
55 grain bullets H335 or Varget

69-77 grain bullets Varget or RL15

If I had to use just one powder for all my .223/5.56 loads it would be Varget.

69 and 77gr SMK are the accurate bullet of choice followed by the Hornady 75gr BTHP.

For blasting ammo try the Hornady 55gr BT-FMJ

I haven't shot much factory ammo through my AR's. Mostly Federal XM193, Winchester Q3131 for HD and lots of Wolf black box for blasting ammo

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
+1 for Varget, it's about the only powder I use anymore...

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Benchmark for the lighter weights and Varget for 65gr & up.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That depends upon how you define best. One thing to keep in mind when choosing a powder for a gas operated semi-auto is how clean it will burn. Also keep in mind that modern powder will burn differently at different pressures. This translates into choosing the right powder for the right bullet.

If you have or have access to a current Sierra manual there is a very good chapter about loading for gas semi autos. If you don't, and you are a real budget minded soul, (notice I did NOT say cheapskate) you can read that chapter in the exterior ballistics section of the Sierra website.

The 1/8 twist is designed to stabalize the heavier of the bullet choices, which is not to say that you can't shoot a lighter bullet like the 55 grain. If you do load a heavier bullet, you will not be using the faster powders, so you have to pay some attention to the amount of soot you find after firing.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use balc2 wcc844 in all my 223 loads.

Posts: 19451 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've started using Ramshot TAC powder and am having excellent results with it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Terry.......tell us more about the TAC results. I really like the Ramshot powders.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Fella I shoot with is using TAC, he had been shooting Varget in his LaRue upper, but TAC is producing the best accuracy for him with the Matchkings. I myself like Varget but have had excelent accuracy and velocity with VV540, VV 140 and either 4895. Light bullets work with the H335.

I do not care for the cheaper blasting ammunition from outside the borders, and really aren't to fond of what is made here! Federal brass from the American Eagle label is putrid.

The Hornady 75 A-Max while a special application has produced some amazing accuracy for me.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Being a gas operated gun, the AR has a tendency to get dirty quickly with ball powders like H335, Win 748, etc, which otherwise are GREAT powders for the lighter bullets in a bolt gun.

I have fell in love with BENCHMARK for the AR-15 with bullets 55 grains and under.

VARGET is a great choice for 60 grains and up.

Good luck!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard a lot of good things about Ramshot tac at ARF.com (including it's price), and have used it with pretty good results behind 55 grain fmj bullets. I still get the best results using IMR 4895, though.

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
With light bullets, I get the best results with Benchmark- excellent accuracy and very clean burning. 69 gr to 77 gr, I like Varget.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thread, I need to work up some accurate loads for my UT-15, and this will give me somewhere to start

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Taking into account price, ease of measurement, performance, etc., I use WC-844 for lighter bullets and WC-846 for heavier ones.

If I was going to shoot at Camp Perry with it, I'd probably pick whichever of Vihtavouri N-133, N-135, or N-140 was most accurate in my rifle, but for ordinary field use the surplus military powders still work just fine. I know how to clean my rifle.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Thanks for the info. As far as bullets I'll load I will probably start with the Swift Scirrocco, Barnes TSX and maybe the Nosler Partitions. After all I still have three doe tags left. I will probably try some of mid to heavy weight Nosler BT's and Hornady A-max's. I have some Bergers also.

My biggest problem is powder. I have Varget And maybe a couple others. I'v been wanting to try some Ramshot powder so maybe I'll get some TAC also. Ya'll have given me some great places to start, Thanks.

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon BL(c)2 is the powder Stoner specified for the AR design. The military cut corners and the guns were fouling/jamming in Viet Nam.

BL(c)2 fixed the problem.

The other "standard" powder for AR is Hodgdon H335.

Let me disclose here that I sold all my AR's. Traded them in for an AK-47, and Wolf steel case ammo, 75 rd. Bulgarian drum mag.

AK shoots even if it's full if mud.

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget even works great with 52 gr bullets. Fill the case to the top of the neck and seat a 52. Extremely accurate load.

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
I've got 8 lbs of Varget so I guess I'm ok in that department.
I just bought an AR also, a Rock River "Predator Pursuit Rifle".
I've been reloading neary 40yrs now, got nervous about the changing Policial climate.... Also thought it might be a good investment... lol...

But, does anyone have a good source of "223 brass", tumbled, primed or unprimed and trimmed... Say, in 1-2000 piece lots....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted:
Hodgdon BL(c)2 is the powder Stoner specified for the AR design. The military cut corners and the guns were fouling/jamming in Viet Nam.

BL(c)2 fixed the problem.

The other "standard" powder for AR is Hodgdon H335.

Let me disclose here that I sold all my AR's. Traded them in for an AK-47, and Wolf steel case ammo, 75 rd. Bulgarian drum mag.

AK shoots even if it's full if mud.

Are you saying Eugene Stoner designed the 5.56 cartridge? I don't think history will agree with that one, though he did design the rifle system it was chambered in.

Secondly, the original specified powder was not ANY kind of ball powder, it was an extruded powder.

Third. The reason(s) the rifles jammed in Nam were numerous, but the major ones were lack of cleaning equipment, lack of cleaning knowledge, lack if cleaning training, and residues left by the ball powders which Winchester (not the military) switched to, to provide the volume of cartridges required under their contracts and to save money/increase profits.

You may also, if you research it, place some of the decisions/blame at the feet of McNamara's "whiz-kids".

None of that really matters now, of course. Now it is developed into a good reliable rifle and cartridge. There may or may not be better out there, but it is a decent combo none-the-less.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Terry.......tell us more about the TAC results. I really like the Ramshot powders.

Bob

Hey Bob, sorry about the long wait. What I like about the stuff is it well it meters and it's extremely accurate. 25gr behind a Hornady 60gr V-Max is a lethel combination in my rifles.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote