New
Find
Notify
Tools

part of a case stuck in the die, but no base
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While de-priming a .223 the primer stayed in the base but the base separated from the rest of the case. The normal way of pulling a stuck case requires the base to still be available. Is there any way to remove the brass or do I need a new die?

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have pulled them a couple of ways I used a proper sized tap screwed that into the case wall then pulled or drove the case out.

I have chucked them in my lathe and cut the case until I could take it out.

One can cut the case length wise and the pull it out.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not hard at all. take a scratch awl and drive it in between the case and the die, being careful not to scratch the die. (the awl will be softer) then a bit bigger thing (like a soft chinese philips screwdriver) this will collapse the side of the case / back out the decapping /expanding unit until it gets stuck in the case and it past the threads,then just a couple taps will pop i out

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Tom Burgess said if you had a stuck case with the rim torn off, if you have an acetylene torch heat the case up on a spot for a second and it will turn red then expand and make a small bulge, then it cools off and shrinks and the case falls out.

I never tried it but he said it only takes a second or two of heat.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have pulled them a couple of ways I used a proper sized tap screwed that into the case wall then pulled or drove the case out.

tu2

The tap just barely has to catch in the case neck.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easy, push a 25 to 38 caliber wire brush in the case and pull it out, the bristles bend back and really grab when you pull back on them..if its really stuck put a little oil in the die overnight I'm told, but have never had to do this...also works on a rifle chamber when a case parts...

Also there is a brake expanding tool that you can insert in a case the expand it and pull cases out but I can't think of the name of that dodad, its a handy deal and works great..

Tom Burgess is correct, I use that as a last resort, I stick the wire cleaning brush in case add a little weight to it then heat up the die and the case will drop out as it cools. It never seems to hurt the die, but I wouldn't get it too hot, I never had the case get red, just hot.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a case stuck in a chamber once and filled it with cerrosafe, the stuff they cast chambers with. Then just pushed it out with a dowel rod. It should work with a loading die as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy this stuf:

Freeze away

spray it into/onto the case... the case shrinks more than the steel die... the case falls out.

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a case head separate and couldn't get the rest of the case out. I stuck the Die in the freezer for a few hours and then was able to push the brass out with little effort. The two metals react differently to the cold.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all of the people who posted suggestions. I tried drilling it out but only succeeded in driving it in even worse, then tried tapping it but just ruined a tap. Both heat and cold were also tried and did not solve the problem. A metal smith friend managed in getting a pick behind the case and pull part of it away from the die wall. It then fell out but looked like the end of a .223. It was really pushed in. Anyway thanks everyone.

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it out. It's happened to me several times. The last time-it was a 7x57 in my old, circa 1974, RCBS sizing die-I said "screw it", threw the die in the trash, and bought a new die set. I figured after 35 years, it was time to treat myself to something new.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you need to break down and buy some new brass!

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My die set is also old as it was purchased around 1982. Recently I purchased a new .38/.357 die set to be adjusted for .357 as the older set is used mainly for .38. Coming from the 40's I am old school and work to fix things rather than give up.

Last fall I bough 1,000 rounds of new brass and in this case the old supply of brass is worn out and has been sent for recycling.