Find
Notify
Tools

How many in the Pet Load inventory?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted
Since I've started reloading, I've worked up enough rounds to comfortably get me through the next deer/hog season. I'm relatively new to reloading so I have spent alot of time searching for accurate loads. So, up until this season I've kept 20 to 40 rounds on hand for each caliber.

Now that I've found some really good 'pet' loads for my guns, I'm thinking I'll roll a hundred or two of each and just cool it for awhile. I'm hoping this will bring some sanity to this "hobby". Is this a normal progression to the reloader?

Otherwise, I can envision myself continuing in the mode of working up a different load after every 40 rounds or so. In other words...wow...found a good one, time to move on and find another good one.....ad nauseum.

I guess another way of asking the question is...are you in a constant mode of load development or just working off the inventory of pet loads?

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slatts:
... I'm relatively new to reloading so ... I'm thinking I'll roll a hundred or two of each and just cool it for awhile. I'm hoping this will bring some sanity to this "hobby". Is this a normal progression to the reloader?

Otherwise, I can envision myself continue in the mode of working up a different load after every 40 rounds or so. In other words...wow...found a good one, time to move on and find another good one.....ad nauseum.

I guess another way of asking the question is...are you in a constant mode of load development or just working off the inventory of pet loads?

The thing about reloading is that you load more than you shoot. If you load up 100 - 200 of the "pet load." Also while they sit on the shelf waiting their turn, the mind turns and someone introduces a new bullet in a sexy bonded outfit and obsoletes the inventory you have created. So don't load up. Note: You may wish to inventory components as lots will vary! The opposition heard from.

Now as to the desire to create new wonder boomers... So what was your point? That's in a reloaders makeup.

The real answer to your questions is found in answering a question: What kind of shooter are you? You need to meet your personal ammunition needs as to quality, and quantity. Simple as that. Good shooting

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am a tinkerer. I have my pet loads for every caliber but always play w/ new bullets &/or powders when I just want to pull the trigger a bit. I typically don't store much hunting ammo, rather load it fresh for a hunting trip. Plinking stuff, especially pistol rounds, always keep several hundred in most calibers ready to go. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slatts: I am a Big Game Hunter and also a year round Varmint Hunter.
In addition I have been blessed to be able to afford a lot of Rifles.
When I get a new Rifle I do load development for it. Almost always when these new Rifles come along I have a specific Hunting purpose in mind as well as a particular bullet in mind for use in said Rifle.
I do load development and get to a point I am happy with the accuracy of the Rifle and the bullet that is doing that.
Then I am done!
That Rifle shoots that bullet that load forever - or on very rare occassions til when a better bullet comes along! Then on those very rare occassions I do load development over again!
Now I am getting to the point of my posting (advice to you!) - at all costs NEVER take into the field two different loads for one Rifle! It just doesn't work! I have heard every excuse from these so called "Hunters" showing up for a Hunt with 15 bullets of one type and 10 of another!
AND, I have even seen "Hunters" intentionally carrying two bullets (loadings) for "different ranges" or for different game that may be encountered on a Hunt (i.e. one for Deer and one for Bears etc)!
It seems without fail the "excuses" used by these "types" IS "Dang, I had the wrong bullet in the chamber - I shot high with those bullets" etc etc etc!
Its the height of stupidity in my opinion to take this route!
Yes make 60 or 100 cartridges for your Rifle! Make them with bullets of high quality and accuracy that will serve your purposes - well!
Keep a particular number on hand that will get you through the Hog season and the Deer season, easily. You never know when life will get busy and you will be up late the night before a last minute invitation for a Hunt, loading bullets!
I keep 40 rounds on hand (minimum) for my Big Game Rifles and 100 to 400 for each of my Varmint Rifles. By the way I again am fortunate enough to have several Rifles for Big Game - one for Mule Deer, Whitetails and Antelope, one for Spring Bear and one for Elk Hunting! I also have an ultra-light Rifle in case I ever get drawn again for Mt. Goat or for Bighorn Sheep! So I keep these more modest numbers on hand for my Big Game Rifles as would a prudent Hunter who only has one Rifle for several types of Big and Medium size Game.

I know MANY Hunting and Varminting friends who take great enjoyment from constantly trying to eke out more and more accurate loads for their Rifles. This may be fun for some and even relaxing, but I long ago put that endeavour in proper perspective! You CAN wear out barrels and, components are expensive anymore. AND in the real world of Big Game Hunting, especially, getting your favorite bullet to shoot groups that are 1/10th of an inch smaller is not that rewarding (meaningful) to that type Hunting!
Same with my Varmint Rifles - if I can get them to shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards of right at or just under .500", then load development is done!
Those barrels are far to valuable to be hammering away with, at PAPER!
My regimen may not suit you - there is something to be said of doing lots of range shooting to keep ones skills honed. I shoot thousands of rounds a year at Varmints and Big Game, and some range sightin and load development work. And I spread this amount of shooting out over many, many Rifles.
Weigh your chances of "improving" your present load with your need to have fun, relax and practice with your Rifles to the expense invloved and the wear on your barrels.
But be sure and have a fool proof way to keep your "best" loadings as your ONLY loadings ready and sighted in properly for an impromptu Hunt and your regular season!
Best of luck with solving your "dilemma".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What every I have loaded up, what ever I used to think, is why there are bullet pullers.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
are you in a constant mode of load development

A qualified yes. I have one or more accurate loads for all my rifles. When I go afield I am confident in their performance. However, I also like to just 'pop some caps.' So I assemble a new load recipe, or tweek an old one to see if I can find more accuracy. I'm not, after all, just a one man ammo manufacturer, LLC. It's MY hobby.

Some guys do woodworking; some build model airplanes; some are barflys; some play golf. I shoot guns.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
For hunting guns, once I find a good load, I stick with it.

That said, I usually have a project gun or two that is always under load development. And I also shoot cast bullets, which allows constant tinkering.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe that at the moment i'm loading for over 50 different calibers. that's enuf for experimenting on. There a certain loads for certain calibers that i may have thousands of rounds loaded for (223 for example). with that in min, when i get a new rifle that won't shoot a proven load I either rebarrel it to send it down the road.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Ah, I'm at a crossroads. I'm leaning towards being the kind of reloader as VarmintGuy, but also am a tinkerer.

I've almost always worked up a new load combination for every hunt. I usually pick a bullet at the right weight to give the best ballistics for the type of game and terrain I plan to hunt. Then I futz around until I get a load that shoots 3/4 inch or less. I only load for three calibers and have 1 or 2 pet loads for each gun that meet 95% of my current needs.

However, I feel compelled to "lock in" a couple of these loads at 100 rounds each and take a break at the reloading bench for awhile.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I find the best with my rifle (which ever one it may be) and stick with it until I change something on the rifle. Then I start all over. I like to keep about 1000rds. total. If I plan a change, then I wait til I've shot off the rounds for that rifle, or I use them for plinkers in another. I currently load 5 different .223 variations (soon another for a rifle I will get my daughter), 3-.45ACP, 3-.243, 2-7x57Ack, and am working up a couple loads for 257 Roberts. My friends who buy weapons more often than I will often have me load something up for them. I get my tinkering then.

Marines: Giving the enemy the opportunity to die for their cause since 1775.
Guns: Giving us freedom since we learned how to shoot
Mustangs: Giving gearheads a reason to exist since 1964
Varmints: Giving me a reason to appreciate all the above.

Posts: 12 | Location: Sherrodsville, OH | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once I find a great load for each of my rifles , I tend to stick with it. I especially do this with my varmint guns. I don't really like changing something that already works and has proven itself. This goes with my Swifts, 223's and BR's. Once a load is developed then the reloading really begins. I shoot alot of PD's and predators throughout the year and stock pile ammo. The big game guns I may change up but not very often. I have them loaded with Nosler Partions and hard to beat their performance for my needs. I guess you could say everyone of my guns has it's pet load.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's kind of the idea of pet loads, you are basicly done with load development. Unless you change bullets, powder lots, primers, or even brass. Which I do on a regular basis. homer

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote