New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need an accurate load for .300 WinMag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for good Long-Range load for .300WinMag with 180 or 200-gr. bullets, preferably Match Kings or equivalent. Need to be able to consistently hit popcans at 800-1000 yards with me doing my part. Any ideas/suggestions? TIA,
KY Jim

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
168gr Berger VLDs with 82.5gr of RL-25

175gr Berger VLDs with 75.5gr of RL-22

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
168gr Berger VLDs with 82.5gr of RL-25

That appears to be on the hot side. Never mind see my note below. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post

Every rifle is an individual, start lower and work up. Although this is not a max load in most rifles.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been several new powders introduced since this was a popular load...

But many people used the Sierra 190gr Matchking,
with 69gr of IMR 4350 for @3075fps...

Or 72gr of IMR 4831 for @3075fps.

For 1000 yard shooting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well my post didn't make it. Guess I didn't hit the "post now". So I will do it again. I thought maybe QL had blown a fuse or you guys were running loads in the 70,000+ range. Then noticed QL had 4 different cases for the 300Wmag. I had been using the R I assume remington the others have around 4grs more capacity. Using those cases the loads I was concerned about were more in line with 63-65,000 while worm not scary.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
This might work.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8 hunters out of my group of Elk hunters shoot the .300 Winny. They have taken dozens of Elk over the years with 180 gr. North Fork or Nosler Partition in front of 76-78 grains of RL-22 (depending on lot) and Fed 210M primer. About 3100 fps depending on the rifle with pin point accuracy. All of those rifles are Model 70 Winchesters, six of which are Boss barrels tuned to a knats ass. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody tried 190 gr. MatchKings with Varget? Is Varget as good as they hype it?

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Well my post didn't make it. Guess I didn't hit the "post now". So I will do it again. I thought maybe QL had blown a fuse or you guys were running loads in the 70,000+ range. Then noticed QL had 4 different cases for the 300Wmag. I had been using the R I assume remington the others have around 4grs more capacity. Using those cases the loads I was concerned about were more in line with 63-65,000 while worm not scary.

My loads are with neck sized Winchester brass form a Remington Sendero.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
My shooter for the 300 Win Mag is a Model 70 with the 26" tube on it. It loves 180 Nosler BTs or Accubonds over 77.0 gr. of H4831 which yields 3050fps over the chronograph and good groups.

It's proven effective in the field on some long range elk hunts with great success.

Looks like you got some great recommendations above. Try them all and see what your shooter likes the best. Good luck.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote