Find
Notify
Tools

a little CIP stuff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Most North American AR members view CIP as a European organization similar to SAAMI. It is far more than that. It had 8 European member countries when it was founded a few days before WW1 began. It now has 14 member countries, including the UAR and Chile.

To obtain and retain membership, each member country must

-pass a law forbidding the sale of any firearm that has not been proved by a CIP certified proof house,

- restrict ammunition sales to that which is manufactured in accord with CIP pressure and dimension standards and is tested by CIP to assure it meets those standards. (This effectively bans the sale of handloaded ammo in CIP countries.)

It is of note that the proof house which exists in the country where CZ rifles are made has vbeen de-certified by CIP (due to the legal dissolution of Yugoslavia as a country), so those rifles must be proved in another nearby country's CIL approved proof house in order to be legally sold in any CIP member country.

Even more interesting to me is the following:

"The NATO military alliance uses a NATO specific recognized class of procedures to control the safety and quality of firearms ammunition called NATO EPVAT testing. The civilian organizations C.I.P. and SAAMI use less comprehensive test procedures than NATO, but NATO test centres have the advantage that only a few NATO chamberings are in military use. The C.I.P. and SAAMI proof houses must be capable of testing hundreds of different chamberings requiring lots of different test barrels, etcetera.

"For all other small arms ammunition for use in "non-NATO Chamber" weapons, NATO has chosen to conform to the procedures as currently defined by the C.I.P."

CIP does grant exceptions to its rules for military and police-type organizations, so NATO countries could use non-CIP standards ammo if they wished, but obviously NATO has chosen to comply.

Makes me wonder what the future holds for us reloaders now that both NATO and the South American country of Chile are recognizing CIL's authority....especially now that Obama wants the US Congress to ratify his signing of the UN arms control treaty.

(For those who want to read more on this, here is the Wikipedia info on CIL...or they can go directly to the CIP site instead of using this link to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...C3%A0_Feu_Portatives
"

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually CIP is nothing more than a bureacractic waste of money. What does CIP proof get you that is of any value? Nothing but a bunch of defects stamped into your firearm.
They still approve crappy stuff like Pedretti and Armi Sports Sharps replicas. Almost any firearm, except those with huge defects will stand one or two proof loads. After that you can still have a piece of crap but it has been successfully proofed by CIP.
You can watch what is involved in proofing in at least one youtube video. I suspect that the incidence of CIP rejections is so low that it is nearly a worthless process.
The same countries that engage in CIP puffery think nothing of dumping all their unproofed military surplus on their neighbors.
Want to waste production time - load up all your partially finished firearms and ship them to a proof house. How stupid is that when they can be proofed internally without transport?

BTW those are the same countries that let mad cow disease get on the loose, kill a bunch of people and wipe out their cattle industry. They almost screwed around and let the rest of the world become infected with that plague.
And not only that they also allowed the use of thalidomide without sufficient testing and caused thousands of horrible birth defects.
Countries were once afflicted by monarchies seem to have this insatiable appetite for central control of all things. Yet a government bureaucrat is almost immue from being held responsible for any mistake. What good are they?

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Most North American AR members view CIP as a European organization similar to SAAMI. It is far more than that. It had 8 European member countries when it was founded a few days before WW1 began. It now has 14 member countries, including the UAR and Chile.

To obtain and retain membership, each member country must

-pass a law forbidding the sale of any firearm that has not been proved by a CIP certified proof house,

- restrict ammunition sales to that which is manufactured in accord with CIP pressure and dimension standards and is tested by CIP to assure it meets those standards. (This effectively bans the sale of handloaded ammo in CIP countries.)

It is of note that the proof house which exists in the country where CZ rifles are made has vbeen de-certified by CIP (due to the legal dissolution of Yugoslavia as a country), so those rifles must be proved in another nearby country's CIL approved proof house in order to be legally sold in any CIP member country.

Even more interesting to me is the following:

"The NATO military alliance uses a NATO specific recognized class of procedures to control the safety and quality of firearms ammunition called NATO EPVAT testing. The civilian organizations C.I.P. and SAAMI use less comprehensive test procedures than NATO, but NATO test centres have the advantage that only a few NATO chamberings are in military use. The C.I.P. and SAAMI proof houses must be capable of testing hundreds of different chamberings requiring lots of different test barrels, etcetera.

"For all other small arms ammunition for use in "non-NATO Chamber" weapons, NATO has chosen to conform to the procedures as currently defined by the C.I.P."

CIP does grant exceptions to its rules for military and police-type organizations, so NATO countries could use non-CIP standards ammo if they wished, but obviously NATO has chosen to comply.

Makes me wonder what the future holds for us reloaders now that both NATO and the South American country of Chile are recognizing CIL's authority....especially now that Obama wants the US Congress to ratify his signing of the UN arms control treaty.

(For those who want to read more on this, here is the Wikipedia info on CIL...or they can go directly to the CIP site instead of using this link to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...C3%A0_Feu_Portatives
"

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW those are the same countries that let mad cow disease get on the loose, kill a bunch of people and wipe out their cattle industry. They almost screwed around and let the rest of the world become infected with that plague.
And not only that they also allowed the use of thalidomide without sufficient testing and caused thousands of horrible birth defects.
Countries were once afflicted by monarchies seem to have this insatiable appetite for central control of all things. Yet a government bureaucrat is almost immue from being held responsible for any mistake. What good are they?

And USA just shined their halo?

Vietnam
Korea
Bhopal
2'nd Iraq war
Afghanistan
Exxon Valdez
etc.

Yeah you're all do gooders!

Let me ask you a question:
If you were wronged by the police, would you rather have the police investigate themselves or have an independant instance do it?

Would you trust a firearms company that proofs their own guns or have an independant firm do it?

If your system is so good then: Why has most of your industry turned belly up?
If your system is so good then: Why is it that 25% of the inmates in the entire world is incarserated in the USA?
If your system is so good then: Why does healthcare work so poorly in the USA? (It's free here you know!)
If your system is so good then: Why is all your wars on drugs doind so bad?
If your system is so good then: Why are you in record debt?
Need i go on?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way I see it a firearm manufacture who need some government agency to make sure that their firearms are so called safe. Must be worried about turning out poor products.

Or are using it to cut down on competition.

Or just another means of government control.

I need the government to hold my hand because I can't make the right choices myself.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fire arm manufactorers here are not as worried as in US because less lawyers is needed and less money is spend on paying settlements. Some powertool manufactorers dont export to US because of they can be sewed for things like: not saying what you cant cut the hair of your cat with a chainsaw without damage on the cat.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
A/C...

remember you moved down here to AZ.. I am in the Phoenix area until mid December... I have set up a meet and greet getTogether on November 16th for members over on 24 hour campfire....

it will be on Saturday at 1:30PM at Famous Dave's BBQ that shares the parking lot with Bass Pro Shop over on the east side of town...

would like to invite you as a guest if you can fit into your schedule... also invited Jerry Eden who lives over there in Mesa...

there is a batch of good guys from 24 Hour down this way, so it would be the opportunity to meet some more fellow shooters and hunters...

PM me if you'd like to or will be able to attend... would love to have you drop by!

best regards
john chr.
seafire

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, there was off-label use of thalidomide. That off use was with pregnant women. Of course, wrong use of a drug means the drug is banned for all use and we all suffer.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Dane: Simplistic arguments, so I'll give you mine--
If the US is so bad, why do so many come here illegally? Why is the waiting list for legal immigrants so long.
We have people in jails for one reason--they broke the law. We also probably have more laws, most a waste of time and money, but congress and the states must be seen to "be doing something."
We also have a whole country to the south pumping drugs into our country. Is Germany doing that to you?
We have a plethora of different cultures here, and our libs have decided that being a melting pot isn't good and we have to "honor" all the various customs.
Beautiful country, Denmark. Loved my visits.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote