Find
Notify
Tools

MagnetoSpeed chronograph
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted
I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these and how well they work compared to a traditional chronograph?

@midway usa

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
wondering why midway is the only vendor

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one all the time I am to sure why I would ever set a regular one unless I had to

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm perfectly happy with my $80 F1 Master Chrony, the barrel mounted unit would be handy for load work in the rain which is does here a lot, but not for $275. Here are some reviews.

http://forum.accurateshooter.c....php?topic=3789899.0

http://forum.snipershide.com/s...onograph-review.html

http://www.realguns.com/articles/360.htm

http://www.realguns.com/articles/391.htm

Midway isn't the only source, they're available from the Mfr as well as many dealers, unfortunately the Mfr is out of stock too, but Grafs has the V1 in stock.

http://magnetospeed.myshopify.com/apps/store-locator/

http://www.grafs.com/retail/ca...duct/productId/26897

http://www.brownells.com/shoot...raphs-prod55606.aspx

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Yes, get the V-2 version. It is better than the original version.
It DOSE effect POI. It does NOT effect barrel nodes so accuracy is not effected.
So far I have not found a rifle caliber that even phases this device.
Good luck finding one for sale.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll never go back to a regular chrono after using the magnetospeed. No waiting for the rifle line to clear, no waiting on the weather. Accurate spot-on against a three screen Oehler my friend runs. I've used it on .22RF through 300 WSM, and will be trying it on the 416 Ruger soon.

Brownells carries it as well

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Magnetospeed chronograph and it works fairly well. It was loose on the barrel at first but I was able to firmly secure it to the barrel by wrapping it snugly with bicycle inner tube adapted to fit on the little post.
once secure on the rifle, it functioned well.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
So how do you chrono a 1911?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
My buddy has one and it works amazingly. Has a few settings to mess with if it doesn't pick up your bullet due to a fat barrel, suppressor, etc, and once you figure that out it's very easy. You can't shoot it unless you truly don't pay attention, and it seems more accurate than a cheaper traditional chrony.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) If you're testing a single rifle, the MagnetoSpeed appears easier to set up; but, if you go to the range with multiple rifles, setting the MagnetoSpeed up for each rifle may negate this apparent advantage over conventional chronographs.

2) There appears to be a significant effect on the point of impact, which would be an irritant for me, especially if the effect varied between various reloads.

3) Some report that steel containing bullets cause erratic results. I frequently shoot steel FMJ'ed bullets or bullets that have steel cups over the lead cores.

4) One can buy perfectly good chronographs for less than $265.00.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kala_azar:
I'll never go back to a regular chrono after using the magnetospeed. No waiting for the rifle line to clear, no waiting on the weather.

This is the big attraction to me as many ranges are reluctant to allow shooters to set up chronographs in front of the bench.

My original Pact purchased in 1986 is still going strong and is accurate & reliable but takes a while to setup and is sensitive to certain lighting conditions.

However, if it isn't accurate or reliable it is useless.

What is the general consensus regarding accuracy and reliability?

These days, I chronograph only after I find an accurate load so worries about affecting accuracy don't worry me. If the magnetospeed is accurate & reliable I see it as a usefull addition to my old Pact and being far more convenient in certain situations.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I'm just a sample of 1, but mine has NO affect on accuracy and a minor POA shift. My 6.5 Creedmore shoots tiny tiny 5 shot groups all the way out to 600 yards with it attached. The POA shift is totally predictable/repeatable for me, so it's no different than say adding a suppressor or muzzlebrake. I love this thing.

Posts: 174 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 14 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
1) If you're testing a single rifle, the MagnetoSpeed appears easier to set up; but, if you go to the range with multiple rifles, setting the MagnetoSpeed up for each rifle may negate this apparent advantage over conventional chronographs.

2) There appears to be a significant effect on the point of impact, which would be an irritant for me, especially if the effect varied between various reloads.

3) Some report that steel containing bullets cause erratic results. I frequently shoot steel FMJ'ed bullets or bullets that have steel cups over the lead cores.

4) One can buy perfectly good chronographs for less than $265.00.

A good friend has one as well as a Oehler 35. Bottom line is that this thing works.

1) It takes seconds to change between rifles.

2) It does make an impact on the POI at 2500 yds.

3) It's electromagnetic which means "anything" that disrupts it's field will register. A stick, your hand, a steel bullet, a copper bullet, it doesn't care.

4) Yeah, 265 bucks isn't cheap but neither is a 2000 dollar scope according to some.

Bottom line, opinions vary but experience is worth it's weight in knowledge. Try not to steer the rest of the "internet youngsters" wrong with your opinions.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both an Oehler 35 (hardly used because I find it a PITA to haul it to the range, set it up between "cold range" target changes, make sure all the spacings are absolutely correct and then the tear down and repacking) Perhaps if I were fortunate enough to have my own range or enough unoccupied land to shoot rifles I would have never considered the MagnetoSpeed but I did buy the V2 and it is NICE.
Swapping between guns takes max of 1 minute-esp if barrel diameter is same or close, If you have to change settings between traditional bullet or steel core or pure lead it truly takes seconds to scroll down 2 or 3 lines to alter the specs.
I have compared the MS to the Oehler here at home with a suppressed 22 and the numbers are near identical.
If and when I can get an empty range day I will haul out the Oehler and do a side by side with a variety of calibers and velocities.

The only drawback so far is that semi auto pistols are still not going to work with the MS.

I can live with that since I am not a precision pistol shooter but that could be a real negative if one is.

That ladies and gents is my humble opinion.

Gary