New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info Please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been using this site almost exclusively for more than a few years now and quite frankly the postings seem to have diminished considerably in the last year or so. What other sites do you visit for shooting/reloading info? Please and thanks.

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
24 hour campfire is a pretty good place to go.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
For years I was a regular on AR, including actively participating in the Political Forum. But the Political Forum long ago was handed over to a habitual spammer who smothers reasonable discourse. The spamming grew and grew to the point it was drowning out discussions in the shooting, reloading, and hunting portions of the site. So, I pretty much abandoned AR 18 months ago. Over the last year I occasionally revisited AR and I did participate in a few discussions, but all were discussions in forums other than the Political Forum.

This month I thought I'd poke back in. I've been visiting and participating more often. But I see the spam has become more prevalent and offensive than ever. A single spammer usually accounts for 1/4 to 1/3 of all content and at certain times of the day all or nearly all content is his repetitious spam. Much of the remaining content is meaningless discourse the spamming whips up. That leaves little content pertinent to hunters and shooters. Many of the regular participants of the past have become fed up with the situation and now post much less often or not at all. I will probably fade off into the background again soon.

One site that gets tons of traffic and is filled with all sorts of info is 24hourcampfire.com. It has a certain tone. Some like it, some don't. But it's still a good place to go for load info.

I shoot a few Marlin rifles. One of my favorite places to visit is marlinowners.com. But don't let the name fool you. They have lots of discussions about other rifles, shotguns, and pistols, including many reloading threads. It's pretty non-political, discourse is civil, and they stay on subject.

For big bores and double rifle info I visit nitroexpress.com. You will also find African and other international big game hunting discussions there. That includes USA hunting. Like AR, it is an international website, in their case, Australian. Several of the participants are old AR regulars.

I also visit firearm and cartridge specific sites like 1911forum.com, 68forums.com, for example. Those sorts of sites are filled with info about specific types of firearms, cartridges, and loads. If you have a specific need you should look for a site dedicated to it.

Unlike Accurate Reloading, many sites support themselves with ads. I use AdBlock Plus and I don't see the ads. One of AR's big pluses was that it is ad free. That means little these days because it's much easier to wade through a few ads on another site than it is to navigate through dozens of pages of spam on AR.

Good luck.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is interesting. I think how one feels about any one site is very subjective. I find AR to be a fantastic site with lots of excellent information, and I consider some of the people on here to be friends even though I have never met them.

One thing I like more about AR is that it is more controlled feed oriented than 24 hour campfire.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
...I find AR to be a fantastic site with lots of excellent information, and I consider some of the people on here to be friends even though I have never met them.
Yes, it can be, if you care to wade through the spam: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=nslv Whistling

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.6mmbr.com

https://www.longrangehunting.com/

To name a couple.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1568 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I only go here on AR; no others. No need. Except the WW2 jeep Forum, which is different.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the site data; appreciate it.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd, Being originally from Toledo (home of the JEEP) I can appreciate your interest.

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I see the spam has become more prevalent and offensive than ever.

It is a reflection on current America politics.

No sense, no class, no honesty.

Just plain lies, from both sides.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68790 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
24hrcampfire and Long Range Hunting Online Magazine. 24hourcampfire is “extremely” politically incorrect, but very informative. The only way to create enemies on 24, is to be a liberal....You “will” be treated with “well earned” disdain! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

While some of that may be true....we still have some semblance of Freedom of Speech! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by memtb:
quote:
quote:

While some of that may be true....we still have some semblance of Freedom of Speech! memtb

Very true.

That is what we have here too, and some are complaining about it!

Posts: 68790 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I have gone on some of the others but find them full of trolls and astroturfers.

Maybe I'm just old, but I find AR the most civilized of all.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I skip through AR and 24H Campfire usually once a day. AR is more civilized and Africa oriented. Both have good info as long as you separate out the BS. I have met some great folks at the conventions and big bore shoots thanks to AR.
I never go on the political forums.
As always, I am very grateful to Saeed for this site.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR is a place where I can be informed about hunting, shooting, gun smithing, reloading. And a few other things.

I appreciate that Saeed and others take the time and trouble to making all this available.

The 'political forum' i had never visited until today. Didn't know it existed. Wont go back.

Apparently it is a place for people to rant about things. We have enough of that in our media, wherever we live. People offering their opinions--often narrow minded and without good hard information. They like to argue and believe that their position is the correct and the only one. A lot of us don't go there because we are better than that, smarter than that.

Taking things personally in forums is a waste of our intelligence.

Perhaps Saeed should disappear the political forum part. Most of us regulars wouldn't miss it.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCflash:
AR is a place where I can be informed about hunting, shooting, gun smithing, reloading. And a few other things.

I appreciate that Saeed and others take the time and trouble to making all this available.

The 'political forum' i had never visited until today. Didn't know it existed. Wont go back.

Apparently it is a place for people to rant about things. We have enough of that in our media, wherever we live. People offering their opinions--often narrow minded and without good hard information. They like to argue and believe that their position is the correct and the only one. A lot of us don't go there because we are better than that, smarter than that.

Taking things personally in forums is a waste of our intelligence.

Perhaps Saeed should disappear the political forum part. Most of us regulars wouldn't miss it.

spaceGreat post. I don't like what we call politics or those involved in it. That does not apply to American politics only .

clapI almost daily go thru a number of AR forums. There have been changes ; some good some not so good. I truly miss a lot of the old timers. There still, however , are a goodly number of well versed and worthwhile posters. tu2roger clap

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Let me share my take on this with some examples.

When I first came on this site 10 years ago I was like a kid in a candy store. I read almost every forum. Lots of hunting stories, lots of reports, lots of guns, reloading, cool DIY projects and so on. Once in a while I found new projects and threads that were very absorbing for weeks on end. Like Michae458 & Sam's projects on Big Bore & DR bullets and CEB bullet threads.

Once I had got enough of the older threads and became picky, I started to fee that the informative postings were declining. This was purely subjective.

When I started posting some projects of my own, like a restock project I got huge support and help. Same with my first DG rifle thread. I soon realised that the site was as interesting as my own posts were or my own "wants" were.

When I got my first DR a few months ago, my interest pick up a lot as I was wanting more info and people were engaging and helping. When I got into casting bullets, same thing.

I have come to the conclusion that AR is a great site with a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Let me share my take on this with some examples.

When I first came on this site 10 years ago I was like a kid in a candy store. I read almost every forum. Lots of hunting stories, lots of reports, lots of guns, reloading, cool DIY projects and so on. Once in a while I found new projects and threads that were very absorbing for weeks on end. Like Michae458 & Sam's projects on Big Bore & DR bullets and CEB bullet threads.

Once I had got enough of the older threads and became picky, I started to fee that the informative postings were declining. This was purely subjective.

When I started posting some projects of my own, like a restock project I got huge support and help. Same with my first DG rifle thread. I soon realised that the site was as interesting as my own posts were or my own "wants" were.

When I got my first DR a few months ago, my interest pick up a lot as I was wanting more info and people were engaging and helping. When I got into casting bullets, same thing.

I have come to the conclusion that AR is a great site with a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people.

I agree completely. I've not been on AR quite as long, but still treasure the info I get. Outside of the Political Crater, most folks are agreeable, informative and civil.

Thanks, Saeed, for providing this forum!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Maybe the OP's ennui comes from his own maturity. When young I used to read hunting magazines with great interest, respecting the opinions of many reviewers. Now I find most of the stuff is either common knowledge or advertorial. Reviews rarely say anything very critical about products because there is a paid ad nearby and an on-going relationship with the advertiser to be considered.

Now, forums can be similar but the mercantile members (here at least) are hardly a mystery. I have worked on hunter org. publications and know that even there advertising is important and philosophical outlook is controlled. On AR there is little or no editing of contrarian viewpoints and that will allow more truth to seep through, making it the most respectable forum I know of.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Maybe the OP's ennui comes from his own maturity. When young I used to read hunting magazines with great interest, respecting the opinions of many reviewers. Now I find most of the stuff is either common knowledge or advertorial. Reviews rarely say anything very critical about products because there is a paid ad nearby and an on-going relationship with the advertiser to be considered.

Now, forums can be similar but the mercantile members (here at least) are hardly a mystery. I have worked on hunter org. publications and know that even there advertising is important and philosophical outlook is controlled. On AR there is little or no editing of contrarian viewpoints and that will allow more truth to seep through, making it the most respectable forum I know of.

Thank you.

That is the whole idea, that everyone is free to say what they like.

Members then tend to moderate each other.

When is comes to politics, in todays climate we are dealing with utter extremes of right and left.

And no one wants to meet in the middle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALL THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We humans, BB balled politicians, wars, money greed, avarice, over population, technology and religious BS built the world we live in today...all I see for the future is MORE of the same because we humans are what we are and WON'T/CAN'T change.

Technology gave the morons a way to play with their peckers online without being found out and eliminated. All you have to do is take a look around you...how many walk around/drive around with their faces buried in some tiny techno-box unmindful of ANYTHING going on around them...and HOW many people do you know that go totally squirrely if they loose their "signal"...HOW many people have a phone almost PERMANENTLY affixed in one or the other hand or stuck in their ear and just LOOK at all the various attachments that can be had to hold that POS and make us look kool.

And that INCLUDES ALL OF US that have our faces buried on some "shooting URL" like AR.

Don't blame the idiot spammers...WE are just as much a part of the idiocy as they are. Frowner Roll Eyes

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:

When is comes to politics, in todays climate we are dealing with utter extremes of right and left.

And no one wants to meet in the middle.

Ironically, Saeed, we may have found a way out of this in Australia, by the counter-intuitive means of compulsory and preferential voting. Instead of having to coax the nutters to vote at all, everyone is obliged to front up. Then, though we may vote for an extreme party, we get a second and third choice, which will go to other parties of our own leaning, either on the right or the left. A minor candidate on either side can't cruel the pitch for the major party that would normally be seen as a fellow traveller.

In the end, the swinging voters have the final say. Though we have some interesting characters come along, leaders usually direct their promises to the middle ground - moderacy is the general outcome and we tend to avoid the hatred seen elsewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the odd look and post on 24hour but I do find the site slow, probably adds downloading. However, in general my interests run from 375 and up and AR, while much slower than years ago is still the best sight for the bigger stuff.

The other site is Australia's biggest Australian Hunting Net. Very active in all areas and especially Political but that but would be of no interest to Americans.

Some Americans on the site and for them a new experience because of the volume of shooting.

NitroExpress is OK but not much activity and lots of what is there has come from AR members who have already posted on it on AR, especially Double Rifle stuff.

Since I have always been a Weatherby fan the Denmark run http://www.weatherby.dk/forum.php is very good. Lots of stuff apart from Weatherby and no one cares what rifle you have.

While AR guns/ammo forums are much slower than they used to be there are still the lurking members who will jump in when a question is asked. AR probably has the greatest depth of gun and gun related knowledge of all the forums and especially if you want to know something that is off the beaten track as opposed to a Howa/Ruger in 308 etc.

Personally I find much of 24Hour has basic stuff and plenty of people who don't know what they are talking about.

So for me it is AR and Australian Hunting Net.

Bearing mind the thread starter's post and being in Reloading, with AR a lot of what you want won't always be found in the forum heading. For example, if you want reloading information or gun related and especially for 375 and up the Big Bores forum will have it. In fact Big Bore forum will do it for you on any calibre. I guess Big Bore enthusiasts are gun nuts so have covered the lot. Similar can apply to Medium and Small bores as well.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote