New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straight Walled Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was loading some 458 win mag yesterday and questioned two process. One, I do not see and need to lube the mouth I.D. The belling process is the only time it mat need lube but that process does not seam to require lube. The other is triming. It would seam that straight walled cases would wear-out before they became too long.

Have you found that triming and lube at the mouth I.D is unnessasary when loading straight walled cases?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Johnny
I dont load the 458 but i do load alot of 45-70.
I like to check my case OAL so i know the round will chamber up right.as for lubeing the ID of the case i do it to ease the process of sizeing. RayA

Posts: 12 | Location: Lees Summit Mo | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always heard that with straight walled cases there's no stretching since there's no resistance at the neck, which naturally isn't there.
and
Why lube the inside of the case mouth when you want them to "hold" the slug, not slide. The above cases might be a bit bigger LOL than my 45ACP and 44Mag but the process can be the same. You might say it's ok to lube if your crimping, but I don't see that as necessary.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
The reason for case lube is to make sizing easier.

Lubing is not necessary to expand a thin-walleed neck on a straight case, however it is necessary to expand a thick-walled neck on a bottlenecked case.