Notify
Tools

220 gr bullet for a 308
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted
Dear Sirs:

I want to reload a 308 win with a 200-220 gr bullet, but the problem I think may happen, is the most of the bullets available in that weigth, don't expand reliable at the speeds of a 308. What is , in your experience, the softest bullet in the 200-220 gr range to use for that purpose?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I for one think that you are ower extending the use of the 308 Win case by even attempting to reload it with 200+ grains bullets.

I have tried it, barely stabilzed the bullets and absolutely no speed whats so ever, I used Mega from Lapua,

Do try and find a good 180 grains bullet to use instead.

/Chris

posted Hide Post
well, there's this .308 208 a-maxes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to my Hornady 7th Ed. manual, Hornady list the muzzle velocity range for their 220 gr round nose bullet #3090 as 1600 fps to 3100 fps.

I read in the Hodgdon's 2006 Annual Manual reloading magazine an article called Reloading the .308 Winchester by Rick Jamison.

Mr. Jamison states some reason he feels the 220 gr bullet is not suitable for the 308 Win cartridge case.

1) Rifling twist rate of 1:12 is not well suited to stabilizing this heavier bullet. 30-06 springfield has a 1:10 twist rate.

2) SAAMI maximum cartridge length of 2.810" in the 308 is so short it demands a lot of the 220 gr bullet shank be below the case neck.
This is supposed to be a bad thing.
(I don't know why. I have seen cut away pictures of modern short magnum cartridges with long for caliber bullet inserted vast distances into the interior of the case in order to make the COL reasonable).

3) modern bullet construction results in a high weight retention so heavy for caliber bullets are not required. The new 180 gr bullets will out penetrate the older bullet design.
The 165 gr Swift A-Frame or Barnes Triple Shock is the go to bullet weight for the 308 win.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
If a rifle has a one in 10 twist it will stablize a 220 grain RN...

I have loaded up 220 grain RN's out of a 30/30, with velocities from 1800 fps to up to 2100 fps, and not only did they stabiize.. they proved to be the most accurate bullet ever shot by this rifle.. which has been in the family since 1966, so I have been around it a little and should know its patterns...

A 308 will give you about 2200 to 2250 fps with a 220 grain RN.. In fact I have read several sources, that combo is the one of choice by Animal Control officers in some African countries for controlling elephant population and movement... head shots from vehicles...

a 220 RN doesn't need high velocity to penetrate...

190 grain match bullets are loaded into 308s for competition...with MVs of 2500...

10 grains more with a 200 is not a big deal..

as long as the rifle has a one in ten twist you are fine..

my Model 94, 30/30 has a one in 12 twist and it is a take driver to 100 yds with the 220 Grain RN...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6_5X57:
Dear Sirs:

I want to reload a 308 win with a 200-220 gr bullet, but the problem I think may happen, is the most of the bullets available in that weigth, don't expand reliable at the speeds of a 308. What is , in your experience, the softest bullet in the 200-220 gr range to use for that purpose?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Greenjoy posted quoting Rick Jamison "I read in the Hodgdon's 2006 Annual Manual reloading magazine an article called Reloading the .308 Winchester by Rick Jamison.

Mr. Jamison states some reason he feels the 220 gr bullet is not suitable for the 308 Win cartridge case.
BULLSHIT!

1) Rifling twist rate of 1:12 is not well suited to stabilizing this heavier bullet. 30-06 springfield has a 1:10 twist rate.
BULLSHIT!

Did I say Jamison is all BULLSHIT!?

Let's cut to the quick. I have several rifles chambered to the .308 Win., an M70 with a 22" 1 in 12" twist barrel and a Ruger 77 RSI with an 18.5" 1 in 10" twist barrel.
I did load work up using Winchester's W-760, Winchester brass and primer and both the Sierra anf Honady 220 gr. round nose bullets.
Powder charges start at 42.0 gr. of W-760 for 2177 FPS at 42,000 C.U.P. and the Maximum load is 44.0 gr. of W-760 for 2295 FPS at 46,900 C.U.P. That's official Winchester data from one of their older manuals.
I worked up to the maximum load in both rifles and the Winchester gave 2310 FPS and groups ran from a very tight cloverleaf to .50" from that 1 in 12" twist that supposedly will not stabilize 220 gr. bullets. The Hornady bullet did 2290 FPS from the same rifle but was not quite as accurate with groups running right at one inch.
before anyone kicks about the velocity, that's not all that much slower than the 30-06 with it's advertised 2400 FPS velocity and that from probably a 24" or 26" barrel. I'll be nice and say from the 24" barrel.
The Ruger with the much shorter barrel did fairly well although groups were not as good averaging 1.2" to 1.5", but even with it's most favorite load, the best that rifle does is 1.25" using 49.9 gr. of W-760 and the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core.
JMHO, but if you want what should be the softer of the two bullets tested, then I would probably pick the Sierra first and then the Hornady.
When you consider the ranges such a load would most likely be used at, the accuracy and speed from either would be more than adequate.
We have a few feral pigs not too far from home and no tags needed, just your hunting license. The state wants them gone so I go out every once in a while to see if I can nail one. They're hard to hunt around here and get a bit testy. If I can get a shot at one, I just might be using my M70 and that 220 gr. bullet load.
I did shoot a few of the Sierras out to 200 yards and the group opened up to about 3" but there was no sign of tipping or instability. So much for Rick Jamison and his 1 in 12" won't stabilize that heavy a bullet.
Just start a bit low and work on up. Only your rifle will say whether it likes that bullet. I'm thinking it will work just fine, just as it has done for me.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote