Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 handi rifle reloads
 Login/Join

posted
Iam loking to work up some loads for my youth model .243 handi rifle. This will be loads for my grandchildren to use on deer and hogs. I am hoping to use 100 grain sierra and 95 grain nosler partition bullets. What powders would you reccomend for these bullets in this short barreled rifle?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kchamp:
Iam loking to work up some loads for my youth model .243 handi rifle. This will be loads for my grandchildren to use on deer and hogs. I am hoping to use 100 grain sierra and 95 grain nosler partition bullets. What powders would you reccomend for these bullets in this short barreled rifle?

old Loading with care; 20 to 21 grains of blue dot will yield OVER 2400 fps with the 100 grain bullets.
popcornMy rifles have shot this load MOA.with MILD recoil.
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kchamp:

I've yet to try out Blue Dot but here is another which Is well documented in the 'find'top left button.Good luck.jc

Language Region
HODGDON® H4895® REDUCED RIFLE LOADS
https://www.hodgdon.com/.../20...uced-rifle-loads.pdf · PDF file
HODGDON® H4895® REDUCED RIFLE LOADS For Youth Hunting, Informal Target, and Plinking _____ Hodgdon Powder Company has found that H4895 can be loaded to reduced levels. H4895 was chosen because it is the slowest burning propellant that ignites uniformly in reduced charges. To create reduced loads, the 60% formula is recommended. Find the H4895 load in the Reloading …

OR Trail Boss..
IMR® TRAIL BOSS® REDUCED LOADS FOR RIFLE …
https://imrpowder.com/.../2016...educed-loads-r_p.pdf · PDF file
As noted in the powder description section, Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead bullets in pistol cartridges. However, Trail Boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartridges producing reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldYou might try
22.5grains of sr4749
or
23grains IMR4227
or
24grains H110
If you do Minus 10% at least to start.
The trail boss is a good suggestion.
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote