THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Lightest Bullet for 1:10 twist in a .300 RUM Varmit Load

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightest Bullet for 1:10 twist in a .300 RUM Varmit Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want 750 yards for ground hogs. I know I could shoot my 308, but, I have this RUM....
With the BCs available, I was thinking a 150 NBT or a 168 AMAX at about 3200 fps. I could load some of my Berger 210s and just go for it, but, I think the bt's will do it. I will be shooting off my BIPOD with 15x glass. Aside from judments on my sanity, any opinions would be appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun to me! Just plan on rebarrelling after that weekend's fun!

Seriously, my immediate reaction was that those bullets won't be very explosive at that range. Certainly the BCs on them are much better than the true varmint bullets available in .308, but they aren't designed to vaporize things and will have lost a lot of velocity by the time they get there. On the other hand, some of the .308 caliber varmint bullets might be launched so fast that the 1:10 twist, that I assume you have on the gun, will vaporize them mid air.

You may just have to experiment a bit.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LWD, the Ground Hog hunting in Virginia isn't like doing a PD shoot down in Texas... (I lived in New Braunfels for 12 years and father lived north of Houston). I don't expect more that 50 shots during the day (but I will bring a 100). The shoot will be on 1000 acres of hay that is scheduled for mowing in 4 weeks. I agree on your idea of a more explosive bullet. What about the 150 gr ballistic tip. I have .30s down to the 110 grain Sierra Varminter but they have NO BC. What were you thinking about? (suggestions would be appreciated). thanks rc

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
For that range, I would go with the 168-grain bullets.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 130 BT is more of a varmint bullet but that is a very short, low bc bullet for that range. Really considering just the range, el deguello is right. 168 is really the entry level weight. If you were shooting tactically with a case that size, you'd really be looking at 190 to 220 grain bullets. And that won't blow up a critter. Course they probably won't live long with a .308 hole in them either.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCHOUSER:
I want 750 yards for ground hogs. I know I could shoot my 308, but, I have this RUM....
Hey RC, As long as you have a fairly long "back-stop area" you should be able to use about anything. I'm in $$$HIGH$$$ Horse country right now, and just can't imagine ricocheting a Bullet or Bullet Fragment into one of them. shocker
quote:
With the BCs available, I was thinking a 150 NBT or a 168 AMAX at about 3200 fps. I could load some of my Berger 210s and just go for it, but, I think the bt's will do it.
Back before we had any easily attainable Ballistic Software, I used to plot Trajectories with a French Curve. Found some the other day and had a few grins.

I can't remember for sure, but seem to remember you mentioning that you have one of the Ballistic Programs. If not, they are not always accurate, but can't be beat for running "How will it effect the Trajectory if I use XXX at a Guesstimated Y,Y00fps?"

So, I'd recommend you do that and see which one works to your advantage. Of course, it may not make a Quack if your rifle just doesn't shoot the Bullet well that you want to use. You might want to take a look at the Hornady Bullets too. I seem to remember someone mentioning they make some Heavy Match Grade Bullets.

As I feel sure you know, getting a nice Flat Trajectory way out there is nearly impossible. The Lighter Weight Bullets have lower B.C.s which causes the Trajectory to "come on down". And the Heavy High B.C. Bullets may not go fast enough to keep the Trajectory Flat way out yonder, and as they are already going slow, down they come.

So, I'd mess with the Ballistic Software and see what Bullet provides the best compromise. Then decide if it is as Fragile as what I want.

quote:
I will be shooting off my BIPOD with 15x glass. ...
I'm not sure that would work for me "today", or if it ever would have. When the distance gets reallllly long, and the Target is quite small, I'll "guess" my Reticle would look like someone had a Concrete Settler hooked to it - if I was using a Bi-Pod. But, I wish you all the best with that set-up and the weenie scope. Big Grin You kids with "good eyes" sure make it tough on us folks with Mature Eyeballs.
-----

I'm wanting to do some Varmint Hunting myself. Been checking out a few places and it seems the Coyotes have been reducing the G-Hogs where I am. Huuum, I doubt I could "spot" a G-Hog at 750yds, but that might be wrong. I recently panicked into a Burris 20x<->60x Spotter and it does a nice job of helping see the Mirage. And of course seeing the Mirage helps determine what the Wind is doing.

Best of luck with the 300RUM on the G-Hogs.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Amaxes are generally pretty fragile. I bet they'd blow up small things better than a lighter bullet with a bad BC.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, your right about the backstop questions. Most of my life has been spent hunting and shooting where one of the first requirements is "Don't shoot the Live stock". My grandfather wouldn't allow a centerfire on his whole farm. Shotguns and bows only.

I can't imagine even being loose around blooded horses.

This is going to be a fun day, but, the distances available are as stated. The folks I am shooting with (owner and son) have already asked if I think I can "shoot a little distance".

I know 15x may be light, but, I have a 24x in my box and the rings are leverlocked on both scopes. I will see how bad the mirage is.

I have an old 60x Celestron that I use a a spotting scope (if I change eye pieces it becomes a telescope). It works well and handles my wind reading.

I am using a gg&g heavy bipod that attaches to the rifle rail with a two inch locking slide. It is a solid connect to the hard-mounted rail permanently bedded into my stock (older HS Precision). For me, this bipod is as steady as a sandbag on a table. The key is working the rear bag for elevation and stability.

I have access to a couple of ballistics programs and will work-up a theoretical curve, but, It will be nice to actually be able to shoot the model and see. I am going to do my workups with the G-7 rather than a G-1 BC if I shoot the bergers.

This has run to long... Again, thanks to all who make this forum great
rc

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting conundrum...50 rounds of 300 RUM isn't a whole lot, but by round thirty you won't be shooting as well as round five. Not as well as you would with your 308. So which is worse: the added trajectory from the 308 at 750 yards or the added MOA from fatigue with the 300?

Sounds like a real good excuse to go get a good 6.5 something real fast!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey RC, That does sound like you are real close to the steadiness of a Bench set-up. thumb Now if you all can just find a spot in the shade, without ants to chew on you, and maybe a cooler of Iced Tea with a very light, almost non-existant breeze.... Cool

Nearly forgot, one of the old guys I know happened to mention the Woods in KY are absolutely full of "Ticks" this year. I got to spend a couple of hours messing with a rifle yesterday and spotted two Ticks, which I believe fell out of a Tulip Poplar. Not sure if any landed on me, cause I was doused in DEET. If you forget the DEET, stop and go get some, you sure don't need Lyme(sp?) Disease.

quote:
RC:
I have access to a couple of ballistics programs and will work-up a theoretical curve, but, It will be nice to actually be able to shoot the model and see. I am going to do my workups with the G-7 rather than a G-1 BC if I shoot the bergers.
I've had good luck "getting onto a Target" with the estimated Trajectory, but have never found them accurate enough to rely on without shooting for verification. When you verify your Drop Chart, I'd be real interested in how close your Math Model Software comes to reality.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler: I have AMAX's in 168 and 208. I have a couple of weeks to test some loads. I keep a supply of A-MAX's because I also show up at the f class NRA matches. I never win, but it costs $30 entry to shoot for the whole match and I get to see what the Big Guys do. I plan to shoot an NRA F Class Mid-range Palma in August and an NRA F Class 1000 Match in September at Quantico MCB :-)

Hot Core: The ticks are terrible here this year. My spouse went with some other neighbors to pick blackberries and ended up finding 7 ticks on her from just a couple of hours in the BB brambles. The other ladies had the same problem. On the ballistic models, I will let you know how close they come. A big problem will be ranging. We will be spotting each other, but, the challange remains that the GH's get to pick the distance. I really would like to buy a good laser range finder, but, I need one that doesn't rely on hard objects to reflect. I also would like to find it used because some of them get pretty pricey. Anybody with experience with rangefinders, I would like technology that would range to 1200 non-reflective (I don't think it exists). Suggestions would be appreciated, but, I don't want to do a big money drop right now.

Tiggertate: +1 on the idea of 50 rounds of .300 rum being physically tough. I have a past recoil pad for fallback (along with a lead sled that I carry in my truck). I plan to put my .308 in the truck at the same time I pack out the Rum. It is another slightly modified Remington 700 Police. I had the rail mount for the heavy bi-pod bedded into the stock (I swap alot of parts)and did some trigger work. It has the 1:12 Remington Factory Heavy barrel and is a good shooter. My problem is that the best scopes I have are currently ringed for the long action. I have the 24x but, I may want it for the Rum. Ok, too long again.

Thanks to all. rc