New
Find
Notify
Tools

348 winchester pet loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Model 71 on Gunbroker, because I've always wanted one. Cases, dies and bullets (200gr Hornady) on the way. Does anyone have a favorite load?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best writ-up on the 348 Win is Ken Waters in the July 1976 Handloader magazine. It is in his big book "Pet Loads". Some of the powders and bullets have gone but the cases are not as hard to find now as there are a lot of wildcats based on the 348 case. There is also a artical in the #47 HANDLOADER Jan-Feb 1974

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

Loaddata.com has several hundred loads for the 348 listed.
Including all the articles from the pages of Rifle and Handloader magazine.

If you don't have access to the site I'd be happy to cut and paste whatever info you want.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS...!!!
The 200 Hornady is a great all-round general purpose bullet for the .348. These days, I shoot more cast bullets out of mine than anything else. You might take a look at that option also.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty
Please work up to theses loads. In my Browning I have played with H4350 and Varget. With the Barnes 200gr, 57gr of H4350 preformed the best. However, 49.5gr of Varget and the 250gr Barnes Original is the load for my rifle.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote