New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 neck sizing
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys,
I just picked up a Redding re-sizing bushing die.
My question is, what is the recommended size or size tolerance for neck re-sizing on a .223?
Thanks
Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For unturned and mixed headstamp .223 brass, I like a .245" bushing for the Redding "S" die or a .244" honed FL Forster die body.

The .245" bushing will pass a .2440" pin gauge, but not a .2450" pin gauge.

The .244" honed die back from the Forster factory will pass a .2440" pin gauge, but not a .2450" pin gauge.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey tnekkcc,
Ok, here's another question for you. I have a formula for determining what bushing to use. The answer was to use the .246 bushing. But if I use the Redding instructions, which state to measure a loaded cartridge and subtract .001 from that. That answer was .245.

So you're telling me the .245 is best? Will that give me a 2-3000nds neck tension difference??

Thanks
R

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it is common to measure the loaded ammo neck, subtract .002" and order a bushing.

I buy that size, .001 larger, .002" larger, .001 smaller, and .002" smaller. Then I try them.
I select the largest that still has firm seating with many headstamps as the best [.245"].

Then I order .001" smaller in FL die from Forster [.244"], and quit messing with floating bushings.

The reason for this is concentricity.
The floating bushings give anything but concentricity if the change to the brass neck is large.

I have a .223 reamer with .250" neck.
The "S" die works just as well as the Forster FL for brass fired in the guns that I chambered.
But my factory guns [.255"+ chamber neck] need the Forster FL.

Of course this is all academic, except for those one or two days a month when wind speeds so low that a .223 can shoot 5 shots into .4" at 100 yards. Most days where I shoot, all .223 rifles and all .223 ammo shoots the same at 100y.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok guys,
I called Redding today and they told me that its normal for the size bushings that i have to resize the neck .002" smaller than the actual bushing size. That's what was throwing me off. With my current setup and bushing size I still get the .003" neck tension that I want.

R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I select my Redding bushings by how much tension I get on the expander ball. I then choose the bushing which gives me just a little more friction than just merely "scratching" through the neck.