New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mmSTW-Barnes 120 grain bullets-WC872 powder
 Login/Join

<Chainsaw>
posted
I want to see if anyone has tried this combination? I would like to try this in a Savage 116 Stainless. Let me know what you think, and a starting point if possible. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the two 7mm STW's which I have worked with, WC 872 seems a bit too slow for bullets under 140 grains. I have not tried the Barnes X, which has a reputation as a "stiffer" bullet (more bore resistance, longer bullet) and usually uses a bit less powder. Therefore, a case at capacity with WC 872 might be useable with the 120 grain Barnes.

Regardless of powder, if your experience is like mine, you will have a hard time getting the X-bullet to group satisfactorily.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
Stonecreek thanks for the reply. I use the WC 872 in the7mm Mag and thought it might work with the STW also.

I have found great success with the lighter X bullets (130-140 grain) in three 30 caliber rifles, both in accuracy and killing power. I did have trouble with the heavier ones (165 grain and up) in accuracy. I have come to the conclusion that the extra (standard type)grain weight can be by passed with the X bullet for a little more velocity and accuracy. Two of my three 30 caliber rifles are the most accurate with the 130 and 140 grain X bullets. An aquaintance takes elk regularly with the 140 XBT. Last year a friend that I load for took two 200 lb.+ whitetails with 130 grain XBT's out of a .308 Win.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
I know this doesn't address your question,but might be of interest to you.My STW,shoots the 120 Ballistic tip.252 groups.Reloader 22,83.5 grains,Fed 215 Primer.
Barnes,recommends seating their bullets back of the rifling.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW--I had a buddy that lived here in wisconsin. I loaded some 120 x's in his 7 mag for whitetail. He moved to alaska a year or two later and loaned the gun to a friend for a carribou hunt. He wound up taking on a moose with that load--not a monster just avg size. That 120 worked just fine--they found it under the hide by the shoulder on the far side and said it looked just like barnes ad with 4 picture perfect pedals.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the Barnes X can certainly be used at lighter weights than conventional bullets for similar game. It may also be easier to get good accuracy with a lighter Barnes X since it will be closer to the length of a conventional bullet.

Chainsaw: If you've been getting good results with WC 872 in a 7mm RM, then you will likely also get good results with the 7mm STW.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
Stonecreek, I might even try 100 grain X's but will start with the 120's. This load will be a longer range whitetail load for my hunting buddy in his 7mmSTW.

Thanks for the information fellas. Anyone else have any additional ideas?

<Big John>
posted
I have good luck using GS custom HV's loaded on 81 gr of 7828. Average 3376 fps and .366" 4 shot 100 yd groups. This out of a Rem Sendero Stainless fluted.