Find
Notify
Tools

moly prepping a barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted
i wana start shooting molly in my 220 swift, my question is can you prep the barrel with powder molly before shooting it?
thanks Jason

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you try MsMoly bore prep if you wish to shoot Moly bullets. There is a bunch of information on their page (link). They sell a entire kit for you to prep your barrel up to shoot moly.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Lyman moly bore paste.
It makes for a single shot settling in, but I think the stuff disassociates into Sulfuric acid from the powder. I run a patch of baking soda solution at the end of a shooting session. That prevents the red bore syndrome. I put so much of it in the bore that it blasts back into the chamber and lubes the chamber for fire forming. My two most accurate rifles start out with it after I use an abrasive cleaning, like FLITZ or JB. No copper fouling so far.

[ 07-07-2003, 00:23: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to put some Moly powder on a patch and run it through a few times, but I don't believe it is necessary. The important thing is to get your bore absolutely clean before you start. Then just shoot it. With a .223, when you get to about 90 rounds, you may want to run a Kroil patch through it. Then when you get to about 200, you'll want to use Kroil and JB Compound to clean it. The Swift may require a little more frequent cleaning, you'll have to decide that on your own. It depends on your barrel too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the source of the moly "powder" you guys mentioned, but I heard before someone bought a bag of moly from chemical suppliers. That will not work as those moly are only reagent grade, it must be lubricant grade to have the particle size small enough to be a lube.

I use moly paste by Hoppes, works very well.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman sells it as "Super Moly" and Sinclair also carries it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Moly for over five years now and also shoot a 220 Swift, The best Moly products I've found is the Moly from "Neco" Interprises. They only use the "Labratory" Grade Moly which is as finest most pure form of Moly on the Market.
Here's a link to a previous thread that also has the link to "Neco" web-site, for paste or powder it is the best in my opinion. No worries about corrosion with their products.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008443#000000

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote