New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Confusement
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After loading about 4,000 rounds of centerfire rifle ammo I had a first today, a bad one.

Long story short I had two rounds that the primer didn't go pop on. Different calibers, different primer types, i.e. one Large Rifle, one Large Rifle Magnum.

The rounds were loaded in different loading sessions, but did use the same priming tool, an RCBS that I use for 90% of my rounds.

Both primers had a significant 'dent' in them.

One primer was very flush with the case, almost as if it had backed out some, but there was no report of any kind.

The other was definitely seated as all the other rounds in the batch, maybe ten thousandths or so below the case.

Both cases were WW brass, one 3rd time reloaded, one the 1st. One round was a compressed load.

At any rate I guess I am looking for some comfort and absolution, being a 'precisionist' for hunting purposes, It terrifies me that either of these rounds could have been in the chamber when that shot at an animal of a lifetime was in the crosshairs. I've never had this occur before, with factory ammo or my reloads over the past several years.

Any help or insight would be appreciated....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish,

Make sure you are seating your primers fully to the bottom of the pocket.

One sure way to test for this problem is to drop the hammer on the primer again, if it goes bang then it was probably not seated all the way on the first strike.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Travis, thanks.. I actually did pull the trigger twice on one of the rounds, I was considering pulling the bullet and dumping the powder and trying to reseat the primers and then try and see if they would pop...... the indentation in them is pretty solid so I just ain't sure.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you found two bad primers at the same time? I have had this a few times with factory ammo, particularly .22 stuff. Turned the round, and hit the rim 3 or 4 times, no boom.

Kinda weird that it happened twice in one day, though. Perhaps it was just your lucky day??

-----------------------------------------------------
\ "If I don't step over the line every now /
/ and then, how will I know where it is?" \
-----------------------------------------------------

Posts: 148 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote