New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone use magnum primers in .270 Win.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working up loads for a .270 and will try a couple of other powders than my old stanby-IMR4350. When using heavy loads of ball powder (760 in this instance) do any of you use magnum primers? What about with full loads, say 60.0 gr of H4831?

I use 760 in my .375, so of course I use magnum primers there. I use it in 7x57's and have always had good luck with standard primers. But I have read many folks say that magnum primers give better results with ball powders

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I use std WLR primers for all my 270 loads, this includes some loads I tried with H1000. H4831, R22, ect, ignite fine as far as in my rifle and I`ve seen no reason for mag primers.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I developed a couple loads with imr 4064 and 140gr btsp for the 270 and used rem 9 1/2M for better ignition.
With mag primers I gained about 25/s
I was looking to get about 2750 out of the load.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No mag primers for me in the 270.

I tryed cci mag per what was printed in a reload manual, working up loads useing h4831 and got big 'ol extractor slot marks on my brass and hard bolt lift.

I've been useing standard WW primers with my h4831 .270 loads

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my .270 Win., I use plain old Federal GM-210 match primers. My load is 57 grs. of Rldr-22 with a 150 gr. bullet. Years ago, when I used H-4831, I tried mag primers but don't think I needed them then either. Suppose I could try some magnum primers. Maybe accuracy would improve some but I dunno.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use IMR-4350 as a definitive line between std and mag primers. For IMR-4350 and faster burning powders I use std primers. Anything slower than IMR-4350 I use mag primers. In extreme cold (<15°F) I might consider mag primers.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote